1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Problem with my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Mar 20, 2009.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I just recently bought an SWR 550x with an Ampeg SVT-15. Plugged in it today and was getting alot of farting out of it. Was curious as to what could cause this problem. Could it be a dying preamp tube? The amp could still be on a low volume and this would happen....Also, I'm not getting much volume...

2. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    You are running your 550 watt head at 8 ohms (350 watts @ 8 ohms from what I've read) into 200 watt 8 ohm cabinet. Sounds like you are pushing the cabinet too hard. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I had a peavey with the same specs...
    It does that as you get louder,
    Its funny that some 4x10s are only suited for bedroom practice.

4. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
  5. Are tou playing an active bass? If so, check your battery(s).

6. You are overpowering the cabinet. Try lower volumes, you are about to blow the speaker.

7. Without a scope to look at the output, I would suggest trying a different cab. Take a visit to the bass store and try your amp on several different cabs.

If they ask, tell em you might have a problem with your amp and might be in the market for a new one. I would bet no one would argue with that!

8. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Now that I figured this out, when should I think its time to stop turning up the volume? Turned the volume down and things are back to normal

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    First thing I'd check..the battery if your using a active bass.
    Second....check all cords and speaker connections.
    Third....the pre-amp tube.
    If none of the above, try borrowing a head and cab and switch things around to find the problem.
    350 watts into a 8 ohm 15 cab should be pretty loud!

10. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    wrong cab

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It time to turn down when the cab starts faring ;)

And to answer your question, program power is a bogus marketing term that makes the cab look more powerful than it is. 400W sounds better than 200W.

12. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    The amp is not used for gigs for anything, just home use. I got the master and gain at about 12 o'clock, should I be cautious of anything past this?, no farting at these specific settings

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Could you have the bass eq boosted too high?
    SWRs can sound really good with everything set flat and treble reduced a hair. Try this to start. Your bass will really shine.
    Try Pre til led flashes then off a hair.
    Then Master to taste. :)
    Aural Enhancer off or just up to 11:00 o'clock.
    Limiter off.

As others said check batt and cables.

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    If it never goes away (you said even at lower volumes) it's either a really clipping/distorting input (dead battery, etc), or you toasted the woofer.

15. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    It's fine now at lower volumes, even with this, is there a possibility it could be blown? it's fine at about half way, and anything after that starts becoming a farting sound

16. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Now its back to being not right, the sound is more of a fuzz than anything...bass is passive so no batter issues....

17. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    FWIW you have a much greater chance of damaging a speaker ( cabinet ) with an underpowerd amp than an over powered amp. Expanding this, the lower powered amp will clip when driven hard and it is this cliping or harsh sound that increases the chance of voice coil damage inside a speaker.
    Where a hiher powered amp will when driven not clip and therefore will have far less chance of damaging a speaker. Even when you overpower a speaker it will let you know if polling or cone overextension, you can hear it and remove the problem quickly.

FWIW in the early days of FOH, Amcron DC300's were a popular amp, DC to 100Khz was possible, if the very low f's were feed to these amps, massive coil heating resulted ( DC was the end of a speaker in seconds ). We used to Tx or capy couple DC300's to avoid very low frequencies and DC from being feed to the FOH stacks. On the service bench to test 1KW amps all i had was a 5 inch speaker in a non ported box, 400-1000Hz at very high power levels into this box was done daily, never blew it up.

Regards, John