Help! Problem with my Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vegaas, Jul 5, 2004.

1. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Hey guys,
    My Spector Euro is not sounding right.
    It is very very bright and almost "pops" with every note I hit.
    I can not get any deep bass or depth out of it.
    I have cranked the bass, and completely turned down the treble on the bass and on my Eden head. Nothing has worked.
    It just sounds like crap right now.
    Any ideas on what it might be?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Demonic possesion?
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Battery :p?
  4. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Changed the battery, wasnt that. The old battery was fine.
    My Euro has the Aguilar pre-amp. I am wondering if that is the problem?
    I wonder how much it would cost to swap out the Aguilar for their new Tone Pump preamp?
    I could be way off, but I cant think of what else the problem is. I know how the Euro's are supposed to sound, and it definitly isnt the sound I am getting right now.
    I guess my next step is email Spector about the problem.
  5. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Check the volumes on the two pickups? Sometimes people forget simple things?
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Just to clarify... has your Spector ever sounded "right"? :)

In other words, has it always had tha very bright sound, or is it a recent change?
  7. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Thats the thing, I know how they are supposed to sound. I have played them in stores.
    My particular Spector was bought used off of Ebay. It sounded like this when I got it a week or so ago. I thought it was just the setup, strings, battery, etc. Well, I have put in new batteries, the setup seems fine, and changed the strings with the strings from my Warwick, nothing is working. Very frustrating.
  8. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    could you post a recording of it? simply plug your guitar to a soundcard and pluck some notes...

what is the rig you played it through?

have you tried it in a band setting?

my bass with emg`s when recorded direct into my PC sounds trebly, zingy etc. etc... but i wouldn`t trade it for anything else, since it sounds so damn great in a band setting - tight, warm, powerfull and cuts through a cranked up twin reverb and a loud drummer without any problem ...
  9. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have a Euro Spector 5 w/EMG's as well. It can sometimes sound too "zingy" especially on the G string. I had someone on TB tell me to try DR Lowriders. I can eq it out fine, and it sounds killer with a band but alone it seems too bright and trebly. My band likes it best of my three basses and one time we used a different pro soundman from Nashville and he commented that I had a "huge bass sound" and loved it.
  10. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    This is not the normal "zingy" sound. It is especially noticable in a band setting. My band commented bass sounded to "poppy". It was not getting any deep bass at all. The higher strings sound fine, but the E sounds like a bright, shallow, distorted mess.
  11. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Your best bet is to contact Spector direct. PJ & Stuart provide great customer service and will be only too pleased to assist.... :bassist:
  12. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I just sent an email to Spector Support. I will let you know what they tell me.
    That being said, if any of you Spector experts have ever run into this, or have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

P.S. I guess what it comes down to is this. Every Spector I have tried has had a warm, deep, smooth sound that could be adjusted to brighter tones. Mine just has a very harsh, shallow sound.
  13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I just boiught mine new from the factory with the Aguilar pre and it has the same problem. The low end has a lot of trebley electronic distortion, The high end sounds like a crappy peizo pickup, and there is wierd buzzes when you turn up the bass and treble boosts. I spoke to the guys at Spector and they are sending me the new Tonepump pre amp to have installed. They say that there is a problem with the Aguilar preamp in mine. Apparently a few of them have seen this problem with the Aguilar OBP-1. My thoery is that it has something to do with added "Voltage Doubler" which enables you to run the 18 volt system off of one 9 volt battery. It's a cool idea, but I've often wondered if that is what is creating the problem. After all, it is an added component that is not really necessary to an instrument. I may be totally full of it too. I didn't design it. Nor could I. Just thinking. I can't wait until it's all done so I can plug it in. These things sound great when everything is cool. If it doesn't sound right, most likely it isn't. They are a pleasure to deal with and I really support them though. Good guys, great sounding basses.
  14. fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    pickups too high?
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've used the Voltage Double with the Aggie preamp with EMG's & other p/u's with no problems.

It could of been a bad batch of preamps.

I just bought an NS4CRFM off of FunkyCarnivore & I plan to put an OBP-1 in it.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep. That is why I bought one, and why I am buying another one today....a natural finish Rebop fiver.

17. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Definitely could be a bad batch. PJ at Spector certainly didn't act like it was a big problem across the product line, but he said that he had seen it before. I didn't say I was right either, just guessing. I'm not a tech, that's for sure. Post what you think of your bass sound with the Aguilar in it when you get it done.
  18. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Yeah, I emailed P.J.
    He said it is most likely the Voltage Doubler or the Aguilar Pre-amp.
    Apparently the doubler can be damaged by too much pressure on it.
    He can send me the TonePump for $140. It also comes with the 9volt, so it gets rid of the doubler.
    I think I will have him ship it, and take it in somewhere to be installed properly.
  19. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Like I said, that's what I'm doing. Can't wait until it's done either. -Dan
  20. I know what you could do, if it works on your bass. I don't know how to do it, but someone did it for me on my bass. vegaas check your pm, I tried to explain it.