Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Purchase Question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I will be purchasing my first upright bass within 24 hours. It's 4:50pm here now.

I have the option of a laminate or a hybrid by the same maker from the same vendor. Both are within my budget.

Are there problems with a hybrid that would never happen to a laminate? Would I have to be extra careful with the hybrid vs the lam?

I did my homework and I know the lhybrid to will mellow with age and it will produce a more focused sound particularly with a bow.

This is a maintenance/care question. I don't want a bass that's in the shop more than in my hands.

Hybrid owners answer please.

Thanks

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think that the hybrid is the way to go. That's what I did. IMO, it's a carved vs. laminate is analogous to sound vs. durability. Carved tops are supposed to open up faster and sound better than laminates. Care-wise, I would only be concern about changes in weather but even then, is it that really big of a deal in New Jersey?

Most of the damage I've caused while schelpping the bass around is sustained on the back, edges, and sides. The top of my bass is still in great condition. Given a choice between the two, unless you specifically wanted a ply for a reason, it's a no-brainer.

3. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    If you are reasonably careful and have a humidifier for the winter get the Hybrid. It is not that hard to take care of an instrument.

4. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I've had a Strunal hybrid for almost two years now and not a single problem. I don't use a humidifier or anyting like that, but I live pretty close to the equator line. ;)

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The only care issue associated with a hybrid is dealing with the humidity issues in the winter. While a hybrid seems less subject to humidity concerns than a fully carved bass, there are still issues.

A room humidifier is all you really need. I think the hastle, if it even qualifies as such, is well worth it. The difference in sound quality is noticable.

6. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I think if you buy an instrument from a reputable music store, you won't have a problem.

In the Philly area there is Sam Ash and Medley Music. Zapf's used to be a good store to buy from but I believe they are out of business.

Bog Riccardi had a German plywood bass on consignment in Pennsauken for $1500. You can look him up on google for contact info.

Try also Shank's out by Hershey PA. He shows a $1200 German laminate with a headstock repair on his website - www.shankstrings.com. My bass teacher deals with him alot.

Good Luck