Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP PURCHASING AMP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Nov 19, 2004.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well as you can see im new here. ive played guitar/bass for a little over 2 years. and now im playing bass in a band with shows so i need a bigger amp. i want something LOUD and dependable that will last me say 4-5 years in a small venue type scenario. im lookin at the 700-900 dollar price range. i play punk/emo/screamo music. i know that i have to find an amp i really like but i would just like some opinions and suggestions to start me on the right foot. i dont mind combo or stack, size isnt a huge issue for me. any help you could possibly give me would be great (except suggesting an ampeg BA115). thanks in advance.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You could get a hartke 3500 head 350 watts @ 4 ohms and a avatar 4x10 or 212 maybe.

Or you could go with a dr bass 212.

here are the websites of the bass cabs

www.avatarspeakers.com
    www.drbasscabs.com

You might also want to try maybe a peavey 115 combo 200 watts @ 4ohms and 300 @ 2 ohms i believe.

Personally i would go with the hartke+avatar or dr bass set up.

Ask around some guys here have the HA3500 and say it is quite loud.

If that dosnt float your boat check used stuff im sure you could get a GK 400RBI-IV for around 300-400$ and a decent cab to go along with.

EDIT**

I was just looking and if you really want loud try and get a peavey max 700 285 wats at 8 ohms 475 watts @ 4 ohms and 700 watts at 2 ohms. You could do a search about this amp and about how reliable and loud it is...did i mention musiciansfriend sells em for 569$ pair it up with a avatar 212 and you got a smoking rig man.

Also the avatar 212 goes for 270 or so +50 dollers shipping so you should be in your price range, the dr bass 212 goes for 300$ if you go with the rx series but the birchline series are a little bit more expensive but still a great purchase if you can afford it.

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    thanks ill look into those. and yes i have looked at the gallien krueger 400rb and did like it, but i just wasnt sure on a good cab to pair it up with. since i started this thread ive looked around a bit more and stumbled upon an ashdown MAG C410t-300. ive heard a plethera of good things about ashdown but ive never actully played one. does anyone know anything about this amp? or will it suit my stlye of music (punk/emo/screamo)?

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Never played through the MAG series but I highly recomend the GK 400 rd. The loudest 280 watts I have ever heard and for what its worth the Backline series in the 4-10 I think is smokin as well. All can be had for around $700. Good luck with your search. :bassist:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG] my amp, Ashdown MAG300H into Avatar B212, 4 ohm. Great setup. 300 watts, plenty for me. Sounds great, and i got it for under $700 too. Highly recomended ashdown and avatar.

6. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    wow figjam that setup is lookin really good to me. but ide hate to steal your rig. any other cab suggestions?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lots of options for cabs, i think anything would sound good with an Ashdown, although if you are just getting one cab i would suggest either a 2 x 12, or a 4x10. I feel that 1 x 15 lacks punch/brilliant highs (ive been using an Ampeg B100r, 15 inch speaker for 1.5 years), and 2 x 10 lacks low end. I feel that with 2x12 or 4x10 you get everything.

Avatar 410 might be good, someone in another thread is considering doing the Ashdown MAG/avatar 410 thing i believe, but if you want to be different, thre are plenty of brands of cabs that are quite good. Anything thats in your price range is worth checking out.

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You could check out low down sound

www.lowdownsound.com

They specialize in custom bass cabs of your choice.

A few guys here have some cabs from them and exclaim that they are awesome.

They are located in detroit if that helps also.

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright that sounds good, ill look around, im planning on going to a local new/used shop tomorrow to play around with stuff and i just wanted to know what to keep an eye out for. i really appreciate all the help here, im rather young and just getting into to gigging at 200-400 person venues and i didnt know exactly what to get. the help is much appreciated and will go a long way. thanks again.

10. I like the FIG RIG. Have you played out with it yet? We were waiting awhile for you to get it from zz sounds.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    'Fig Rig', i dig it.

I havent played out with it yet, just practiced. So far everythings great though.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Got to agree with Angelopb. I've played through the Nemeisis 2X12 and 4X10 combos at the store and I thought they sounded pretty neat and that's coming from someone who likes tubes. The bonus is that they don't weigh too much.

13. All I have to say is Gallien-Krueger. IMO it just dont get better.

14. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well i want to say thanks again for all the good advice. i went and bought my amp today. but i did not get a ashdown head or avatar or dr. bass cab because i just could not find anywhere to play one and i really wanted to play whatever i got before i bought it. so in a feeble attempt to find something, and try some GKs i did the unthinkable and went to my local guitar center. i was dissapointed to find that while they did have Gk cabs they didnt have any heads. but almost giving up i spotted a ampeg svt350 floormodel on clearence for 350 bucks. i decided to give it a go and plugged it into a 2x10 (they didnt have any 212s) i was a bit impressed but it wasnt anything special. upon my trying the amp a worker came in and asked me if i needed help and i explained my case to him. he pointed me to a ampeg BA500 combo. i plugged in and was astonished by the volume but not so much the tone. i did have a nice end put the highs were too sensitve and it picked up too much fret buzzing and the sound of my fingers on the strings and i didnt like it much. so now that i started trying amps i decided to plug the svt into a GK 4x10. it almost mimicked the sound of the RB500 but wasnt near as loud, but a lot less expensive. i went back and forth between the two and didnt really lean towards either so i sat there for a second and thought. after a while the guy came back and asked if i wanted to plug into an ampeg 4x10 with porting on the bottom. although it was pricey i decidedto give it a go. i was instantly shocked. the punch of the low end almost blew me through the wall, and the clarity of the highs ripped right through my face. i made some small adjustments and got it to sound godlike (to me at least). and after about 2 hours of piddleling i decided to talk numbers. now the cab was 700 brand new plus tax, but after a while a managed to get the tax cut off the make the cab a grand total of 700 dollars flat. the guy said he could not give me a discount on the head because it turns out it wasnt supposed to be marked down that much (originally 679, marked down to 350). 1030 was a bit steep for me, but my dad decided to kick in 20% and i was sold in a heartbeat. so despite all your great suggestions im now sitting next to an Ampeg SVT-350H head and an Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab. just incase you wanted to know my final decision.

15. That's a pretty meaty rig. I'm sure you are going to shake the walls with that in a small club. But I need some clarication on the head. Is this the tube head you got or the solid state? wAS the cab a 4ohm cab?

16. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    its solid state and its 200 watts at 8 ohms and 350 watts at 4 ohms and the cab i got is 4ohms

17. Well, you got exactly what I would have got given those choices(an many others). Ampeg stacks deserve and get respect. That 410 is designed to move a lot more air than your typical 410s if it is the one those mutiple round ports on the bottom.

18. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yes it is the ported one, thats what sold me. the bottom end punched me so hard i almost fell off the stool.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice choice. Nice little sexy Ampeg duo you got there. I used to use an Ampeg B100r combo and i can agree that the Ampeg tone is a sexy one.

Congrats.