1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Push/pull volume knob came out of my Lakland 44-01!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rush-2112, May 27, 2011.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    So I was tweaking the volume on the push/pull knob on my 44-01, and then I pull for passive, and the entire knob comes out! I can put it back in and the volume works fine, but no longer can I do passive, it's now permanently on active. Here are some pics:

I can put the knob back in, and it looks normal

[​IMG]

Here's how it looks when I try to do passive and it comes out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've ever experienced a problem with my bass. Can anyone tell me what I should do? I have no experience with issues like this, and am totally lost :help: Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Looks like the shaft came loose and pulled out of the pot. You will need to replace that pot, or have it replaced.

Pot = potentiometer, a variable control the user adjusts by turning the knob.

3. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I see...would you be able to tell me how expensive it might be to get it replaced? And would I just go to like Guitar Center or something so they can replace it? Thanks for the immediate response by the way

4. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    i hate push/pull pots for this exact reason. I prefer a switch.
    By the way, love the colour of your bass, very tidy.

5. ChuckBro

ChuckBro

Dec 23, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hey Rush-2112 (Geddy's the man),

I've replaced a couple of these for our customers here at Bass Emporium. No biggie. It's a 500K push/pull pot. You will need to replace it. It can't be repaired. You can either get your nearest Lakland dealer to get one from the guys at Lakland or you can order one from Allparts for around $16. If they are out of stock, we have them here. Then you will want to have someone who is very handy with a soldering iron install it (a lot of wires on that pot). I never charge for that if the Lakland is purchased from us, but if not, the charge is $45.
    Here's the Allparts link:

500K Push Push Audio Pot | Allparts.com

Give me a call if you have any trouble.

6. ChuckBro

ChuckBro

Dec 23, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Oh, I forgot to mention; the difference between the orginal Bartolini pot and the Allparts pot is the shaft. The Bart is solid and the Allparts is split. So the knob may not fit the same way on both.

7. jopiejoops

jopiejoops

Jun 3, 2014
    Chuck, is this a lineair or logarithmic potmeter?

8. What you need to do is look at the plastic piece inside of the switch, that the shaft slips into. If you have broken this plastic piece, then the switch would have to be replaced. If you have not broken it, then you can just re-assemble the pot/switch. It may be a little tricky, if you haven't done it before, but all of the pieces simply slip together.
    8644633460_f9ba356722_b.

Note that there is absolutely no reason to replace the pot. Such would entail inquiring about the taper, tolerance, and other such hassles. Replace the switch and keep the pot.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good info for the future, as I'm sure the issue has been fixed in the 3 years since the OP posted this :)