Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP - question about eminence speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inputoutput, Oct 4, 2005.

1. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    i just installed a 400w eminence delta 15 pro as a replacement in my swr basic 2 way (1X15") PAS speaker, which had blown out a little while before.. i was using a traynor YBA-3 head, rated at 160w @ 4ohms, at a volume of roughly 4 (out of 10).. so i had another 2X10 cab @ 8ohms connected (making it a 4 ohm load).. and then, after forty-five minutes of playing, the eminence speaker blew and isn't responding to a battery test (which it had done earlier in the day).. is this most likely just a defective speaker? everything, as far as i can tell, makes sense electrically, and i have no clue what could possibly be wrong. thanks in advance for any help.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Did you check if this Eminence driver was suitable to your cab´s volume and tuning? The Delta pro 15 needs a volume of about 6,2 qubic feet and a tuning of 42 Hz to work as it is intended (in a SBB¤ alignment). That might be your problem. :meh:

BTW this driver hits xmax with only 50 Watts between 50-70 Hz.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The DPro 15 should not blow a coil with that kind of power, it's designed to hold up to input levels fives time what your amp can provide. Overexcursion is the more likely culprit, and considering you also blew another driver in the same cab I'd venture that the cab design is insufficient for your needs.

4. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    What's your EQ like? Large bass boost? If so, that's what caused the problem, play around with your EQ and find some tones that you like that don't need a bass boost.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What Jock and Bill said.

6. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    thanks for the tips.

i checked into it, and it doesn't appear to be a problem with enclosure design, as my enclosure should match the specs required for the speaker. regardless, overexcursion might in fact be the culprit..

given the high power handling of the speaker, and relatively quiet [and non-bass boosted] level, it might also be a faulty speaker.. if it was something like blown voice coil, it would have at least lasted longer than forty five minutes.