Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help quick GK users!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Mar 19, 2003.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    awhile ago i got a sm 900 head from g c, like 3 weeks ago. For some reason it broke and i took it back and there letting me use a GK 1001 bi amp... i think thats it. I have a mesa power house 4x10s and a mesa power house 1x15, how do i bi amp it!!! help me quick i have a show this friday!! thanks

p.s.
    GC is ordering me a new sm 900 and!......eden wt 800. wt 800 was the only other amp i wanted to try after i tryed the sm 900. I hope it is as great as it sounds

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I own a GK 1001rb head and run it full range into two Eden David 2-10 XLTs.

The bi-amp option for the 1001rb is meant to be used with GK cabs and requires the use of the somewhat proprietary Speakon speaker cable that come with the head. It works like this...

The head has two power amps the 540 watt amp is for the lows and a 50 watt amp is for the highs. The power amp for the highs is only 50 watts because it was meant to only power the horn in a GK cab. The single speakon cable that comes with the head is a four conductor cable; it carries the power for each respective set of drivers in a GK cab. Say with the 4-10, that cable sends the wattage for the lows to the four tens and at the same time it sends the 50 watts for the highs to the horn. In effect, it is essentially two separate cables in one.

Unless your cabs have speakon jacks with a similar configuration to the GK cabs, you will probably not be able to use the 1001's 50 watt section. you'll have to use the 1/4" jacks in the head to run your cabs full range. When ever you use the 1/4" jacks at the back of a 1001, you are running your power full range and the crossover does not function. hope this helps a bit.

3. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    so they should of gave me some cables with the head?? because all they gave me was the power strip?

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Just to back up these other guys....
    I too own and gig with a 1001rb head..... I run this full range into 2 Ampeg cabs (115 and 410).

Basically, just pretend it doesn't say "biamp bass head" on it anywhere.... because unless you use cabs made for it, you're not going to be able to biamp anyway... at least not without some modifications.

Not to worry bro! I love my rig! Sounds great at any volume & gives me plenty of headroom. Good luck w/ the gig!
    -Mike

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    oldirtymoney,

The cable comes with new amps, but as you've probably figured out, it won't work with your cabs unless the cabs are wired like GK cabs.

Sorry, I forgot to say that the 1001 will sound very good with your cabs.

6. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    thank you for the info guys. Maybe im just retarded and i dont no what bi amp means but hears what im trying to do. I just want to be able to run the gk head through both my 4x10 and my 1x15. So i dont need thoughs gk cords to do this right???

7. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    so to some things up all i have to do with the Gk 1001 head is put one cord into the left speaker output to the 15, and on cord into the right to the 4x10s???????? why didnt i have this problem with my sm 900 there is way more do dads on that then this head.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That's it. have a good time with it!

it's gonna be loud and with a lot of punch!

9. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    THANK YOU GUYS. I left the manual to the head at guitar center so i was kinda worried i wouldnt get it, but then i remembered how smart the people at talk bass are! thanks everyone for the help :D

10. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    GOOD LORD. I cant believe this Gk head. It sounds soooo good. Its less watts then my sm 900 too. I dont think i will be getting that sm 900. This gk head sounds so great and i dont even have to turn it up as loud as i would my sm 900. Is the gk 2000 something another just like the 1001 but more watts??? which do u think ill like better eden wt 800 or Gk 2001 or whatever its called?

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you like the GK that much, you should probably go with it. I think you would find the GK to sound much clearer than the Eden. Eden's are generally warm and wooly sounding. The GK is tight and punchy.