Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help quickly before Iblow up my amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just got my new Hartke head and want to check it out. I don't have a speaker bottom yet and my impulsiveness is killing me. I DO have a Behringer BX600 combo and it has this neat little imput titled "power amp in".

The owners manual on the BX600 says that this is " ...to feed in the output signal from an external bass amplifier."

It goes on tho say: "To use the power amp of you ULTRABASS for an external amp or preamp you need ot connect the line output of the external amplifier to the POWER AMP IN jack on your BX600."

Can I plug the damn Hartke head in or not???? Do I have to wait till sunday when I go to my brothers to hear the head? My local music store guy said I can only plug a preamp in, but if I plug the head in it's gonna blow.

HELP! The impatient little kid in me is about 5 minutes away from possibly frying an amp.

2. I think it'll fry your combo.

Is it possible to just hook the Hartke to the speaker in the combo?

Even if you unwired it from the combo's head?

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Too much hassle for me. I'd have to cut wires and stuff. I'm going to wait till I either get the answer I want here, or sunday.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Look for the "effects send" on your Hartke head and plug that into the "power amp in" on your Behringer. That will be putting the right level signal from the Hartke into the Behringer.

Don't hook a "speaker out" into the power amp in or you will most likely see the magic smoke.

Depending on whether the "power amp in" is before or after the master volume on the Behringer (probably after) they volume knob on the combo may have no effect and volume will be controlled by the volume (or maybe the gain knob if it's a gain-master setup) knob on the Hartke.

When you do this you'll be using the preamp in the Hartke and the power amp in the Behringer.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    As craigb wrote, you'd run a shielded instrument cable from the effects send jack on the Hartke into the power amp input jack of the Behringer.

The main problem with the Hartke head is that all of the EQ (both Graphic and Hi-Lo Contour controls) comes after the effects return. In other words, you won't be able to use the Hartke EQ with the Behringer.

If your Hartke head has a balance DI output, you could use a impedance matching transformer and run to the Behringer from there since it can be either pre or post EQ. Hardly seems worth messing with though.

There is a good block diagram in the Hartke manual that will show you more. www.samsononline.com

6. craigb is absolutely correct. If you want to hear the Hartke and only the Hartke, you'll have to wait until Sunday.
    If you were to plug the power amp out of the Hartke into the Behringer returns, the only sounds heard will likely be some type of Adrian Belew type of noise followed by you uttering "Oh Sh*t!"

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks guys. The impulsiveness wore off. I'm waiting till sunday.