Help re-building/modding my bass guitar with an old tube amp i want to salvage parts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mattblissett, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mattblissett

mattblissett

Jul 18, 2006
    Right so I have this bass guitar with most of the electrics missing, I'm only left with the jack out and the humbucker pickup. I want to do something a bit different as i have fixed guitars before and as this one is actually mine i want to experiment with it.
    I also have 2 old guitar tube amps with a "Speed" effect on them which makes it sound like the speaker is pulsing, one of the amps now doesn't work, I'm presuming and hoping it's the just the tubes or power input and i was wondering if there was any way i could put the "Speed" effect into the bass.
    I'd also like to salvage the treble and bass pots too if it's possible.
    The speed effect is controlled by a pot that when turned all the way down clicks and turns off, i have opened it up to try already but I've only ever really done basic electrical repairs and this is connected to a proper circuit board. I can send more photos to help.
    Thanks in advance

2. Short answer, no, you most likely cannot put the tremolo effect in the bass. If it's a tube amp it's probably a tube tremolo, which makes it absolutely impossible; even if it's not tube tremelo you'd still need a circuit board, with MAJOR modifications, wood carved out of the bass, AC power running to the bass, just, no... it's crazy.

3. Hi.

If You're an EE and/or are REALLY good with electronics it could be done and I think it has been done. That was before transistors were affordable though so I'd follow the advice You were given on that other site to make a SS tremolo/vibrato. Most probably it still won't fit into that small cavity, so routing is necessary.

Tubes have been used in onboard electronics, but to do that safely, it involves quite a lot of research and knowledge.

Regards
    Sam

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Better off to just build or buy a floor pedal with a tremolo function.

5. I applaud your ambition, but I think you would be getting in way over your head on this.

It'd be far easier to just get a volume pot, a tone pot & capacitor, & a tremolo pedal. That way your pots & capacitor are the proper value.

6. mattblissett

mattblissett

Jul 18, 2006
    Thank you all for your help and advice.
    will let you know what i end up doing with it

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021