1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP! Re-hair Near Toledo, OH?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassplayer57, Feb 19, 2008.

1. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Ok, The cold weather must not be liking my bow, for as I was playing this afternoon, about halfway through the piece, I realized that the bow hair had magically loosened itself. I tightened it, and it just got more loose. So I am guessing it is time for a rehair. I was wondering if you guys knew any places that are nearby that could do a good rehair on a bass bow.

Thanks!
    Nick

2. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd check the Guarneri House in Grand Rapids, MI, or you could take a drive down to the Bass Cellar in Cinci. The Loft in Columbus may also be able to help. There ought to be people in Ann Arbor who can do it, too.

I grew up in Toledo, but I never had a bow worth rehairing until I left. I could probably find someone there who would know (my old teacher there, for example).

3. jposekany

jposekany Guest

Dec 31, 1999
    It sounds like your last rehair didnt go very well. David Orlin in AA is very good, but expect to pay $90. Shar in AA does rehairs, but I think you need to make an appt. I dont think you really need to trek all the way to Grand Rapids for a rehair, but if you need an excuse to get anything else done to your bass or bow, it is worth the trip. Psariano Violin in Birmingham/Royal Oak also do rehairs. Just google them and when you call, ask for Laurie. If you need it right away, the above mentioned folks are much closer than Grand Rapids.
    Jean

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Is Jacque Gray still around? He is (was) in Lancaster:

Jacque Gray Bass/Violin Shop. 740-687-4729 machine, 740-654-5949 if avail

5. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Lancaster's about a 3-hour drive from Toledo. With that time, you might as well go to Cincinnati.

I'll bet you could contact the bass prof at University of Toledo (I don't know who that is anymore, it used to be Derek Weller) or at Bowling Green. They'd be able to give you a good recommendation.

6. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Sue Lipkins. One of the best bowmakers alive, competitive price, quick turnaround. Send it by FedEx, get it back by FedEx. (845) 679-4453

7. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I was able to find a man that does rehairs for the Symphony players. I should be getting the bow back tommorow.