1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Reading Fender/Squier Neckpocket Symbols

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebonalley, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    In a prior thread I discussed that my recent bass purchase appeared to be a frankenbass composed of a non original neck and body.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/weird-japanese-ebay-bass-mystery-831655/

Anyhow, I've finally taken the neck off and am seeking input on what some of the symbols mean.

In the pocket, it appears to be stamped SPJM - 94/R with a sticker over it. There is also a red A with a circle around it. The sticker is easily read and has what appears to be a streak of blue marker on the top right corner.

IMG_3266.

The neck also has the SPJM - 94/R but appears to have a red D, a "Z" or an "N" depending on how you read it, and a green marker blotch. There are no other marks on the bass aside from the Q serial number.

IMG_3268.

In conclusion, I know the SPJM- 94/R is the name of the bass which matches the Q serial number however, I'm not sure what the rest of the symbols mean. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I know there are experts out there somewhere.

3. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    Can you hear the crickets Clarice?

4. I'm not a luthier, but I do play one........ no wait. :)

I'm just guessing here, but I would say they're manufacturing reference numbers. Most likeley, the model and serials are there, as well as lot number. The 49/140 is probably body number (49 of 140 built on that run.)
    I suspect the marker spots were at one time the same color. If not, they may have been made on different days. These woud be put there after a dry fit to maintain the match. The A, D and Z (or N) might be inspection stamps along the line.

5. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    Hey bro, thank you so much even for your guess. This thread hasn't gotten much response but I think its interesting info. I do suspect that the neck and body are from different batches so the color disparity may be correct. Thanks again.