Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help reading sixteenth note rhythms

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by whitenoise, Feb 1, 2003.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    whats the best way to count 16th note rhythms 'cos i just got the standing in the shadows of motown book and shat myself. usually i just break everything down and read them as 8ths but i was just curious to find out if theres an easier way. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You mean, something like:

<b>1</b> 2 3 4
    <b>2</b> 2 3 4
    <B>3</b> 2 3 4
    <b>4</b> 2 3 4?

Or

1 e +[and] a

2 e + a

3 e + a

4 e + a?

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Stick with that bible of bass knowledge & you will see/hear a vast improvement in your overall playing.

Playing straight, uninterupted 1/16th notes isn't that bad...Jamerson, though, rarely does that.
    The killer is the space & rests, blah when playing a 1/16th note groove.
    If you can play/count 1/8ths, you should be able to handle playing/counting 1/16ths(they're TWICE as fast. No biggie).

Anyway, I'm with JMX-
    l1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&al

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Don't be afraid to move SLOWLY. I was checking out a Jaco chart earlier today...Jaco must play the thing at 200 bpm....but I was just looking at it and counting off VERY SLOWLY 1 and 2 and 3 and 4(for the 8th note parts) and 1... E... and... AH... 2...E...And...AH...3...E...And...AH...4...E...And...Ah at the 16th note parts.

I'm sure I would have looked silly, but I learned the riff, and once I had solidified it in my head at a slow tempo, speeding it up wasn't very difficult.

I find that its tempting to dive in and try and play the riff just like how ______ plays it, at the same speed and everything, unless you are an impeccable sight-reader, or the line is really basic, this just isn't possible. You gotta start slowly, and work from there.

5. Syncopation for the Modern Drummer is a good rhythm reading book I definitely recommend..