1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help real or fake? Peavey Cirrus Custom shop 5 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    There is this cirrus USA received_10156588721634758. received_10156588721634758. custom Shop 5 for sale near me and the guy told me he paid 3k for it when he bought it new. There is no serial number, no carbon on headstock, and it has the dot inlays and no cirrus logo at 12th fret? Maybe it's just a one of custom build Peavey Did? I'd like some professional opinions before I pull the trigger, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Looks legit to me

3. VONDOMAN

VONDOMAN

Mar 16, 2015
    NC
    I believe I’d contact Peavey & have their historian ‘weigh in’

pcake, TheReceder and Bassbeater like this.
  4. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Back of the neck and fretboard/string alignment look off to me. And my Cirrus had black plastic knobs, not metal.

HalfManHalfBass and chaosMK like this.
  5. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Could be remembering wrong, but I think custom shop models had metal and wood knobs as options.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m no Peavey Cirrus expert, but that doesn’t look like a USA Cirrus bridge to me.

7. The differences between this bass and production Cirruses were all available as options on their online virtual builder back when they had a Cirrus custom shop. I think it's legit, but a headstock pic would still be helpful.

The production models with wood headstock veneers still had the graphite overlay underneath. Can you see a dark layer around the edge of the headstock on the sides?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  8. The quilt top models came with Hipshot style A bridges like this instead of the standard ABM. Makes sense that it would have been available on the customs too.

electracoyote likes this.
  9. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This confirms that I’m not an expert. ;) :D

10. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Does it weigh 25 lbs? If so its real. XD.

11. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    @IronSpatula already addressed that there’s a strong possibility of that being the stock bridge.

12. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I don't think I've ever heard of a Peavey guitar or bass being faked.

13. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Ha noticed after I wrote it, thought I deleted the post in time. You caught me.

14. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    And I certainly have never heard of anyone paying $3,000 for one.

15. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Man...always wanted to try a Cirrus but have never seen them in any shop here in Denmark.

16. Comparing it to my Cirrus 5, it looks fake. Aside from having the wrong knobs and bridge, I've never seen a US Cirrus with neck inlays other than The Cirrus C at the 12th fret and side markers. Also no stacked knob in the controls. Just volume, balance, bass, mid, treble. Cirrus was an $1800 bass, not $3000.
    Love mine, would never part part with it,

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If it’s a fake, it’s a damn nice one. The Chinese have ripped off everything, but they wouldn’t have bothered with a multi-lam neck.

Dragan likes this.
  18. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I've got a USA Cirrus 6 with the exact same knobs and bridge, so as far as that goes, it looks legit to me...a bit confused RE: the dot inlays, but chances are that yes, it could have been customized that way...

The lack of a serial number is a little worrisome. Without a serial, I'm wondering if there'd be any point in contacting Peavey directly RE: whether or not they actually built this bass.

As someone else has noted, a pic of the front of the headstock would be helpful.

19. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Never saw stacked knobs, but that may be a custom shop upgrade. Never saw dots. Only the clean board with the signature "C" at the 12th fret. But that may be a custom option. Not sure why you'd select that option, as the clean board and the C inlay are one the allures to the Cirrus line. Also isn't the serial number supposed to be stamped to the backside of the headstock (not at home to check mine)?

Jsuwinski777 likes this.
  20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe the man of many Peavey's could have an opinion @kodiakblair

kodiakblair likes this.