1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help real or fake? Peavey Cirrus Custom shop 5 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Slightly O.T. (and not meaning to derail thread)-

With all the talk lately around- a few threads seem to have popped up recently with "could it be xxx brand bass?", it simply could just be a modified instrument, based on the original as a "platform".

Glad I dated the inside of the neck cavity and neck itself of my FauxFender with date of assembly, as well as my initials.

And with that being said, when a lot of us bass guitarists "shuffle off this mortal coil", ePay is gonna be full of "FAUX (insert famous instrument maker's name here) classic" and "vintage" instruments that aren't really so!

Looks like God (Ween or Satan) really will get the last laugh...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Skillet likes this.
  2. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    The gold knobs and bridge were available on the custom models, and the stacked knob shows that this is the Millenium preamp, which was also available as an upgrade on the custom models. All looks perfectly legit to me.

Vic Firth, Ikkir, Sav'nBass and 4 others like this.
  3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    totally agree...i also double-checked against my 2004 Cirrus.....the dots are the biggest culprit.......

4. No problem with the knobs, bridge or lack of serial number, later Cirrus only had a sticker on the control cavity cover. Neck join looks right the Lower horn was off set for access.

Dots are the only strange thing I'm seeing but if you asked Peavey would fit them.

cbdriver and JACink like this.
  5. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I think mine was around 1500 when I purchased it new, but it is a 4-string. I also purchased at a shop an hour away from the factory. I got mine either the year of release or the following year. I also will never sell mine. I don't think any of these ever went over $2000 even with high markup stores, but could be wrong. Man I miss that Peavey factory! They treated me like a known and signed ROCK STAR! If I had any problem whatsoever I just showed up at the factory and the artist relations tech would meet me and while I sat there put on a new neck or adjust or new strings or whatever I wanted or needed. I wish someone would buy that whole factory from Peavey and re-initialize USA manufacturing with the first product being these basses.

I have never seen a fake USA Cirrus, but there certainly have been Asian manufactured ones. The pictured one looks different than mine.

Geri O, Downlowd and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned several Cirrus basses and presently own two 6's and one 5. Everything looks right on this bass and I would not be worried by the fingerboard dots. The custom Cirrus was built to order so dots certainly could be legit.

Most of the Custom Cirrus had wood covers for the battery and the control cavity. Everything else looks right...the custom usually had the Millennium preamp and those are the correct metal knobs. The bridge and tuners look right also.

All that said...I paid less than $1000 for each of my Cirrus basses and 2 of them are in new condition. I personally would not pay much over that for a custom unless all of the custom parts of the bass were just what I wanted.

kodiakblair likes this.
  7. The dots bother me some, but if it is custom, that could just be how it was ordered.
    The lack of an S/N bothers me more.

As to pricing, find a store that has some NOS, still in the sealed factory box and ask what they want.
    It's the only way you'll get a new one now, but they charge accordingly!

KodiakBlair should be along shortly to sort this out.

kodiakblair likes this.
  8. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Most fakes are brand new and shiny, with no play wear, fret wear or dirt.
    Not saying there are no well played fakes out there, but the fraud market usually sells brand new out of the box.
    Many years in retail, I've seen lots of Cirrus's and there are endless variations of hardware. Almost every one I've seen did have the gold knobs.

9. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I remember browsing peavey cs and contemplating one, some 10 yrs ago.. they had like zilion options for your ordering pleasure.

Obese Chess likes this.
  10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    For me, no serial, no sale. Good luck convincing the next buyer it's legit when you decide to sell it. And 3k new? Never.

pcake and Robert B like this.
  11. I wouldn't think about custom Cirrus then if I was you. Very few folks leave these stickers in place after purchase.
    IMG_20180217_131105. IMG_20180217_131128.

Ikkir likes this.
  12. Looks legit.. Back in the day Peavey had the Cirrus Builder on their website where you can design your own Peavey Cirrus. It was an awesome tool and I would love going on there to play around. Dot inlays and the Millennium Preamp were all options on the site.

pcake and Obese Chess like this.
  13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Edit: Looked more closely, I guess it is legit but I barely trust it who would order a custom with those metal knobs and that overall look. On a custom you'd have amazing options for every detail and this guy's choices were :atoz:

If it sounds and plays awesome (as in better than 90% of basses under $1000) that would be a good sign.

I'd pay less than a normal Cirrus for that one though.

14. The dots seem to be the biggest point of contention here. As mentioned already, they were an option on the Cirrus custom builder. I have also seen them on a few other Cirrus customs over the years. They are pretty unusual but don't indicate that the bass is counterfeit or modded. But they do detract from the cleanness of the Cirrus look in my opinion as well...

I also don't think the seller is lying about the price, though he may be quoting the MSRP for the build. (Hopefully his dealer didn't make him pay full MSRP!) I played around on the online builder a few times and it was pretty easy to get over $3000 MSRP. Definitely expensive for a Peavey, but keep in mind that the quilt top models, which were precursors to the real customs, were ~$2500 street if purchased new at that time. Not that that means this particular bass is worth what the seller wants.

Cirruses could/can certainly hold their own against other basses in that price range but the fact that used ones have always been attainable for well under a grand kind of undermines the premium/custom ones IMO.

15. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    The Cirrus basses with a tiger eye-quilt top, Birds eye maple neck w/ vari-mid Millennium pre options did climb into the $3000 range (best I remember!) You could find them with either Birds eye maple, or ebony fretboards....

16. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    Wanted to add.... the dot inlays & no C @ 12th fret is a “new one” for me, too! Never seen that before....

17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I always find it interesting when a seller never provides at least a front view picture of the headstock.

18. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    Mike Porcaro (TOTO) has the best looking tiger eye Cirrus that I’ve ever seen!!! Always gassed over that beauty...

19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    I think - it is custom type, but the thing is if you like the sound.

20. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Not necessarily fake, but more like one of the cheaper models like bxp or imports. I should have used a different word haha