1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help real or fake? Peavey Cirrus Custom shop 5 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    They do usually have stacked knobs I believe. I'm 100% with you on why you'd have them put dots instead of the classic cirrus logo with no dots looks alot better imo. I believe I posted a pic of the headstock, seller says there is no serial number though which is odd

2. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Guys I got the guy to come down to $400 cash with a hardcase! What do y'all think?? If it's a real USA made Cirrus then it's a no brainer

FLAT4 and scuzzy like this.
  3. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I will try and get a pic of the front of the headstock

4. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    That's what I'm saying! But... if the guy had it special ordered at the custom shop with what he wanted maybe it really is a true custom shop?

5. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    This is the headstock. Doesn't say BXP , but also doesn't have the Carbon layer on it?

Attached Files:

Sav'nBass likes this.
  6. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Looks like a good deal for $400, regardless!

7. The carbon layer is behind the wood veneer on the headstock.

8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Looks legit to me. Hell of a bass for $400. Nice work.

Ikkir likes this.
  9. Yeah. $400 is a no-brainer. If you don't like it you could probably flip it for over a grand if you're patient.

Ikkir likes this.
  10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    It looks legit to me.. I have had 3 US Cirrus basses .. one was a fretless.. the other was a 6 with a Milli pre.. and the other is the bolt on that I still have.. I traded the fretless for it.. I just couldn't get into fretless but I fell in love with the Cirrus bass.. the feel of it.. The 6 was just too much for me and I needed cash so I sold it.. That 5 I have will be with me for a long time.. cirrus head. cirrus milli.

I agree.. It looks totally legit. My headstock is missing the little plastic triangle over the truss rod nut because I took it off to adjust the neck.. but it is sitting right here on my desk. That is definitely a Millenium pre.. knobs and all.. and for $400 with a HSC it is a great deal.. I thought you were going to say he was asking for like.. $1400 or something like that .. for $400 jump on that man it is a steal unless there is something wrong with it that you can't see.. That Milli pre is fantastic.. very versatile..

I use Dunlop Super Bright Mediums .. and DR Pure Blues strings on my basses.. I like them on the Cirrus.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    DrewinHouston likes this.
  11. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I'd take it for $400. After a test drive,

12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Just looked at completed eBay listings, the BXP model (import) has been selling for $350. Sounds like a great deal to me. The dots are unusual but not out of the question for a custom cirrus. I think it's legit, the only real down side (assuming it is in good playing shape, working truss rod, no twists in the neck, etc) is that the dots would make it tougher for you to sell if you ever want to. If a cirrus is your thing I say go for it.

Jsuwinski777 likes this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Better jump on it before you get scooped. A decent HSC alone is worth around $100. Nice looking bass.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Itseems unlikely that a counterfeiter would use that much time and care to make a non-standard version of a less popular model.

15. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've owned several Cirrus basses and that appears to be a legit Cirrus USA. $400? Run...don't walk...run over there and get it now. NOW.

Jsuwinski777 and metermech like this.
  16. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Especially since it has the Millennium pre-amp...that'd be why my Cirrus 6 has the same control layout, it has the Millennium too...:cool::bassist:

17. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Right. Also I agree with you, the dots would make it harder to sell but I gurrantee I could get atleast $600 plus for it if I decided to part with it

Reedt2000 likes this.
  18. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I'm sure peavey will be able to confirm that it's a USA model for you, maybe even provide a build sheet. Id buy it and they'd be my first call. In any case BUY IT, then send us pics so we can live vicariously through you :D

Jsuwinski777 likes this.
  19. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I'm going to try to meet with the guy today and give it a test drive. He said it was walnut with a dark cherryburst finish and 18v preamp. Sound right?

20. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Problem is I don't have a serial number so how can they really do anything?