1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help real or fake? Peavey Cirrus Custom shop 5 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Hey that looks just about the same one! Lol

2. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Haha I'm trying man!

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006

if its not, then its also a no-brainer in the "No" category :D

Dude, if you really like it, and it does what you want to do, get it and dont listen to any of us phartz....but if 'investment' is part of your 'want criteria', then i would say you need to be more sure

Jsuwinski777 likes this.
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    There will be a serial # on the bass on the back of the headstock. With that bridge, the Hipshot UL tuners, the signature headstock, the Millennium pre, that’s a USA Cirrus and the dude should be asking $1500+ for it. GO GET IT NOW.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    you may have missed the rest of the thread...One of the biggest issues is that there are dots on the fretboard...Custom thing? maybe but, to this day, I have never seen a Cirrus with fretboard dots

6. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Fretboard dots were a custom option offered by Peavey. There was a period where you could use an on-line "configurator" and see the different woods, finishes, fingerboard choices, hardware and fingerboard inlay choices prior to placing your order.
    I spent WAY too much time on that system when it was up and running!!
    Not many people ordered the fret board dots but they were available.

Vic Firth, mech and Jsuwinski777 like this.
  7. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I'm looking for a decent 5 string bass for my band. We play hardcore/metalcore, but also I buy and sell music gear for a living so yes it still has to be a good investment as well

8. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Right. I'm still trying to understand WHY someone would want the boring dots when you could have it clean with the sexy Cirrus logo lol maybe it's just me

9. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Buy that bass and you'll make nearly $1000 instantly. Just sayin'.

10. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I've been told it was part of the custom shop selection. You could have it with dots.. why someone would do that is beyond me and that is what was raising major concern for me

11. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Eh I don't think so. Just from the appearances alone devalue the bass itself on the used market. Might be able to get $800 out of it.. I'm I haven't played it, but I think we can all agree it's a STEAL AT 400 BUCKS!

12. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    He says there is no serial number..

13. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    oh boy are you wrong

on dhgate there are frickin' fodera copies that are constructed the same exact way

of course, with worse wood, sloppier construction, and so on, but as far as replicas go, those are amazingly accurate in terms of how wood is arranged

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    its one of the reasons why Im paying attention in this thread: I saw a few Chinese Cirrus basses on either AliExpress, DHGate, or somewhere - in that color! - but cant remember if it had dots or any other details. As a Cirrus owner, I just went "Hmm, thats weird" and went on my merry way...It was awhile ago and I had been searching for it since this thread came up but cant find it

but, yeah, there are craploads of neck-thru multi-laminate guitars on those sites

15. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    So they would know where to put the note stickers.
    :roflmao:

1.JPG

kodiakblair likes this.
  16. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Try to see on the back of the covers; probably You will find a stick with the serial number

17. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Ok guys today's the day! We finally set a time to meet. Wish me luck!

18. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Here it is! She is gorgeous I am sure this is the real deal. Plays sooooo good. There is a little issue with the output jack( if it gets bumped it cuts in and out) and one tiny scratch, but other than that it's great! Does anyone know if this has the adjustable string spacing?

Attached Files:

BrentSimons and Reedt2000 like this.
  19. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    That is an interesting Cirrus. It has the Millennium preamp that is usually found only on Custom shop Cirrus basses and the bridge is not the usual ABM supplied with Cirrus basses. Your bass has a Hipshot "A" bridge. The string spacing is adjustable. The set screw on each bridge segment located nearest the bottom of the bridge is the set screw for string spacing. The round black piece that the string sets on can be moved side to side when the set screw is loosened.

I think you have some version of a Custom Shop Cirrus. They typically sell for $1500-$1800 depending on condition. The serial number should be on a sticker on the inside of the battery and control covers.

Vic Firth likes this.
  20. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes, it is a Hipshot bridge; some Cirrus basses were provided with that bridge direct from the factory ... it was a tipical "custom shop" choice as the millennium preamp and the matching headstock (the top of the line tigereye Cirrus was normally provided with millennium preamp, matching headstock, hipshot tuners and hipshot bridge). In my opinion You can be sure: this is a genuine Usa made Cirrus. If You find the serial number on the back of the covers I could probably tell also the year of manufacture (I guess between 2005 and 2009). Here some examples of Custom Shop models

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM