1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help refinishing my bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DerekLatulippe, Apr 11, 2010.

1. DerekLatulippe

DerekLatulippe

Dec 21, 2009
    sorry this has probobly been asked a million times, but i did a quick search and couldnt find anything

im working on re finishing my bass, i did a search on here and found three different kinds of paint i could use. ( re ranch, Krylon and duplicoler)

re re ranch didnt have the colour i wanted, krylon did but they have like 80 different kinds of paint. can anyone give me some advice on which specific paint to use. thanks

also if theres another company out there that i shouldecheck out can you let me know.

2. What color are you looking for? Krylon would be my last choice since it's usually enamel and enamel is tricky to work with. Though sometimes the cool colors are hard to resist.

3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Just curious - did you call ReRanch? AFAIK they offer a whole slew of colors, but limit their website presentation to the most popular. Duplicolor would be my second choice...good luck.

4. DerekLatulippe

DerekLatulippe

Dec 21, 2009
    im looking for a brown. almost like a leathery brown.

im going to try and call reranch tonight.

thanks.

5. DerekLatulippe

DerekLatulippe

Dec 21, 2009
    i tried calling reranch this afternoon and it went to an answering machine and it said the inbox was full. does anyone know of a different way i can try to get ahold of them?

also does anyone know if they ship to canada?

6. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Check Duplicolor automotive finishes, they are Acryllic lacquer and and are easy to use and can produce a excellant finish. They have hundreds of different colors. Most auto supply stores have them in stock.

7. Email is probably the best way. Bill travels a bit, and is also a gigging musician so he's out of town often for gigs. I don't ever recall seeing brown being an option. There are secret colors, but I'm pretty sure that brown is not one of them. I also don't think they ship to Canada.

+1 duplicolor is a good substitute.