Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help regarding routing a J pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steviecsg, Sep 23, 2005.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    What equipment should one use to drill a hole from the wall of the newly routed Bridge J cavity into the control cavity. There issn't much space to position my handheld drill bit perpendicular to the walls of the cavity in order to drill through to the control cavity.

An alternative 'homemade' idea would be to drill through both pickup cavity and the control cavity and run the wire through the back of the bass, perhaps routing out a shallow groove for the wire to sit along the back of the bass body, after which it is covered with a piece of plastic.

What do you guys think?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Stewart-MacDonald sells, I believe, a really long drill bit just for this purpose. You might be able to find one at a hardware store, too.

3. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah but I first need to be able to position my drill perpendicular to the wall of the cavity which is physically impossible in order to drill a shaft right through.

I wonder how those luthiers manage to do it. perhaps some special tool is required to drill holes in awkward places.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That is why you need the really long drill bit. The hole isn't supposed to be perfectly parallel to the face of the bass. It can be a little slanted and still work just fine.

5. If your doing a J rout, the length of the cavity is long enough to really lay the bit over and get it angled. But keep in mind that the lower down you start in the pup cavity, the higher you'll come out in the control cavity. Try to start a little up from the bottom of the pup cavity and you'll be able to get an even flatter approach with the bit and you'll come out more in the middle of the rear cavity. Remember, these bits are about 12" long so your drill is well out of the way of the face of the body.

Hope this helps