1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help removing pickguard from Schecter Stargazer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Curmei, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Hello All --
    I did a search, but didn't come up with anything that would help me resolve my own idiocy here. If this info does already exist, apologies for the extra post.

I have played bass for a long time, but I make no qualms when it comes to admitting my complete lack of knowledge on the electronics side of things. I have a Stargazer that I have been using to back up my Rickenbacker, but I wanted to get a new pickguard made and replace the pickups.

Emailed with Tony at Pickguardian, and wanted to send him in the pickguard, so he could create a new one, but upon pulling off the section that holds the controls, it appears that everything is tied together pretty well. There is a single plastic connector that just pops off, but then a few wires that are soldered onto the controls. It doesn't seem that I can just pull the knobs off the posts, nor do I see any allen screws or the like, keeping the knobs on the posts.

Has anyone had any experience with this model? Do I actually have to unsolder the controls just to get the pickguard off?

Thank you for reading my post, and thanks in advance for any guidance. I can always just have my tech pull things apart for me, but didn't figure that removing a pickguard would be this much trouble. This reminds me of when I went from my old Crown Victorias to Toyotas in the early 90s... I used to be able to look under the hood and, for the most part, understand what was happening... now, I am clueless.

Thanks, again.

2. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    I figured it out... they can just be pulled off - they were just on there pretty tight.

Thanks for being here.

3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Glad that I could help!
    :)

4. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Ha - oftentimes, I just need to get frustrated and ask the question, and then I figure it out. So, I do appreciate TB being here. In that sense, I am glad that you could help as well : )

I am sure that this will not be the last stupid thing I ask here : )

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I realize this post is an old one, but did you ever get that custom pick guard made?
    I'm thinking about buying and older Stargazer (from before they had the pick guards) and I'd like to get something to dress it up.

6. This might give you some ideas ... my 004

[​IMG]

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Thanks, there's one on ebay right now...under $187 with three days to go, but it has a few blemishes, most notably on the headstock where it looks a bit chewed up.