Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help: Replacement pickups for my P Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rboyce, Sep 29, 2005.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey.

I'm looking to replace the approximately 30 year old pickups in my "lawsuit" Memphis P Bass. (Low output, noisy, missing a pole piece, etc.) I want to keep the vintage vibe and sound, so I'm considering both the Duncan "Vintage" SPB-1 and Fender's "Original 62 P Bass® Pickup". I can get the Fender for a little cheaper, but it's not that big of a factor. Which one would you guys recommend? Again, I'm not really looking for a "modern" sound - I play mostly alt-country, roots rock, classic rock, indie rock.

Also, do the Duncan 1/4 pounders sound completley different than their "Vintage" SPB-1 pickups? I know they are really popular....I'm just not sure what they sound like.

TIA,

ray

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the Fender pickup. I have one in my P copy.

3. For Vintage sound the Fenders are a great choice...

interestingly enough...some of the "cheaper" pups on the market do a better job of getting that vintage vibe than the more expensive "high tech" pups.

bill lawrence makes an excellent pickup at a very reasonable price.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For vintage tone, I'd recommend the Fender, or if you're willing to spend more, Lindy Fralin. I'm sure the Duncan is good too; I recently installed the SPB-2 Hot for P-Bass, and it's excellent. It provides classic P-bass tone with hotter output, and slightly reduced treble response compared to a true vintage pickup.

The Quarter Pounder is different. It has more lows and highs, with comparatively less mids than a standard P-bass pickup, and much higher output. Some say they're good only for aggressive styles; others say they're extremely versatile. If you want real vintage tone and don't care about high output, the QP probably isn't right for you.

5. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    I know you want a vintage sound, but to answer your second question, quarter pounds are different. I love em!

(i know most people hate blink but this is a great preview of quarter pounds)

Blink 182 - Online Songs

Listen to the intro

6. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Anybody knows how the 'fender original' compare with what's in an american standard Precision?

I like the tone I have in my MIA: big, fat, punchy attack, but could also use a slightly more defined sound, that you generally get in higher quality pups.

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The pups you mention are good choices. Other ones to look at would be Duncan Antiquties and Lindy Fralins. Both great vintage tones.

8. +1 on the Fralins
    I've had mine in a nothing-special '57 RI 'parts bass' for several years now and it sounds better than ever.

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Both the pickups you mention are good and sound similar to my ears. There are also several other good options out there as mentioned above. IMHO the best vintage (Late 50's early 60's) sound is the Duncan Antiquity. You can't go wrong on either of your original choices though.