Help replacing tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboysam, Feb 6, 2005.

1. I am really not impressed with the Sovtek tubes that are currently in my YBA200. I havedecided to got with JJ 12ax7 and 12at7 (as was recommneded in a previous post to reduce the gain. I think a 12ay7 would be a bit too clean for my taste) in the pre amp. I am debating between a few options for the power amp section.

SED 6550C
    SED SVKT88
    EH 6550
    EH KT88 (for the same price as the EH6550 at
    JJ/Tesla KT88
    JJ/Tesla 7027A (i'm not sure if this is even possible to use in the YBA200)

Any opinions or experience with these tubes would be great.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love JJ's personally. I have them in a guitar amp of mine, and they are super sweet. Not really tried too many tube bass heads, it's just not quick and squeaky clean enough for me, but I may eventually get one for my rock gigs.
  3. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Different tube.

Whatever KT88/6550 you get, two important points:

New power tubes need to be biased. Unless your amp has external bias adjustments and you know how to use them, changing power tubes is not user service. This is a job for a competent tech.

Secondly, do not buy tubes from any reseller that does not do a lengthy (24-hour minimum) burn-in before QCing and matching them. Buying raw stock from a non-specialty dealer is asking for trouble.
  4. yes i am well aware of that, i have a tech that get do all that for me, i just ant sone opinions on what i hould spend my money on.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    By the way, has never done me wrong.