1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Request From Watts/Ohms Gurus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptune, Mar 9, 2010.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    All,

I'm contemplating buying a TC Electronics RH450 to power my 2 8 ohm Epifani cabs. I have a UL2115 (400 watts RMS/1000 watts peak) and a UL2210 (500 watts RMS/1000 watts peak).

Do you think the RH450 has enough watts to sufficiently power these cabs? If not, could you recommend an alternative with a similar voicing?

Appreciate any help.

2. Unless they are garbage cabs or built to a specific function like Acme you will have the power. Fuel tanks don't care how much you fill them.

3. Well, sufficient for what?

First thing is, throw away the idea that the power handling ratings on the cabs are any indication of what the cab "needs." They're not; it doesn't work like that. They're indications of what the cab can supposedly take. (I say supposedly because not all cabs are properly rated.) It's not as if the cab is saying, give me this much power or I will refuse to work properly or well. You may or may not be aware that cab sensitivity is tested with an input of 1 watt; this should tell you something.

So the issue is not what the cabs "need," it's what your playing situation requires. How loud do you need to be? What kind of music do you play? What kind of venues? Do you also run through the PA or no? What kind of sound are you going for?

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I see no problems with that setup for most situations. Should work great.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    No.

If you try to power a cab with as little as 1 watt less than they are rated for they will burst into flames.

6. ^ Now thats funny! :D

7. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    you must power all cabs with an amp rated at twice what the maximum handling of the cabinet. so if you have 2 cabs with a 1000 watt peak you need a 4000 watt amp.

right?

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    ^^^^what? surely you jest.

man, the rumors you kids pickup around the playground and pass around as truth...........

there's a fairly well developed ohms FAQ up at the top of the forum.

I have a Mesa Walkabout head rated at 300 watts.
    I have two Epifani UL410 cabs rated at 1000 watts each.
    The single 300 watt Walkabout driving "2000 watts worth of cabs" is great.

To the original poster:
    if that combination of amp+cabs=tone and volume you dig, there's no reason not to use it.

9. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks for the help. I guess, like most gigging players these days, I'm looking to use a small, lightweight setup that can cover everything from a coffee house to an outdoor concert... Not very realistic, but I'd still like to get as close as I can to an all-around compromise between those extremes.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020