Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help required from Fender experts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, Aug 12, 2004.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Guys,

Looking at this bass it appears genuine to me but is it all original by the info displayed in the ad? The serial number and pots seem to tie up as do the knobs etc. Is it overpriced? Any comments at all?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3741463027

Thanks for any input in advance

Steve

2. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    :D I see that the price is now a dollar, hardly overpriced now. It was up for $2000.00

Steve

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

4. Looks good. Maybe a little overpriced, but pretty good is it's all original.

5. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks guys, i thought the same just wanted some reassurances as its a lot of dollars to spend on a guitar that I will probably not gig with. The guy who's selling it seems pretty genuine and everything seems to stack up so I am gonna go for it. My head tells me there are better ways to spend the money (on a bass even!) but my heart says its gotta be mine.

Steve

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't see how a 74 bass can be classed as "Vintage" - so this is exactly when Fender's quality control slipped and they put out masses of factory-made basses that were so bad that the Japanese copies started to be a better bet! ;)

So - OK there certainly were good ones - but when I was buying basses in the late 70s early 80s - I never found any and that was when an Ibanez Musician looked a much better option.

To me - anything after '64 can't really be classed as Vintage Fender - it's hit and miss and while you might find a good one, I'd certainly want to be trying it extensively, before I would consider buying! :meh:

7. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    The whole "Vintage" issue is a debate in itself which I have read about in other threads on here but I note your points. I am not in the position to try before buying unfortunately but would think that it should hold its value comparitevely well to spending the same amount on a new model. Admittedly with the new model you can play and all will be perfect but nothing comes for free and a 30 year old instrument is a piece of history in my eyes. Who knows who has held that bass or what notes it has played and where. I am a little worried about buying it but excited and you only live once!!

Steve

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wello - if you're only thinking about value and not about getting a instrument that is good to play - then that whole concept is alien to me and something I can't imagine or comment on! :meh:

The only reason I buy basses, is to play them!

9. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    I cant see where I said value was my ONLY consideration? I would hope from what I have read on this forum that the bass will be good to play. I already have a 'new' bass that is amazing to play in my stingray and am thinking that this fender will be a great contrast. To me the more you spend on a bass the greater consideration I have to give to value as I am not rich.

As for your comments about only pre 64 being vintage I think you will find a lot of folks on here will disagree with you.

Anyway, I didnt post this thread to start an argument just to check with people that the bass looked like a genuine 1974/75 jazz bass as it does to me but I am not an expert.

Thanks for your comments, good to hear different opinions.

Steve

10. Truly vintage or not, it will become more collectable and its value will definitely increase in the coming years. Bruce is right, in that the true vintage Fenders are pre-1964, but as we've seen in the last few years, even late 70s basses are going for thousands of dollars. They may never touch the value of pre-CBS basses, but their value will still increase regardless. The public eventually begins to consider any 30+ year old J-bass valuable and if you don't get a great player, you can still find solace in the fact that the bass will more than retain its value.

11. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for the reassurance, I am slightly nervous about the deal but am taking the chance on it.
    Is the pre-64 vintage thing due to 64 being a defining year or the fact that it is 40 years ago? When will a 74 jazz become vintage?
    I think that I may be paying slightly over the odds but the seller seems genuine with a good reputation and here in the UK its harder to get these basses.

Steve

12. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Well I bought it and it has arrived :)

Its exactly as dexcribed, seems all original to me and the neck is nice 'n' straight. Plays really well apart from G string is a little loud but will take it in for a setup soon.

Thanks for the help.

Steve