Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help required from you bassists!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by L Plate bassist, Jun 26, 2005.

1. L Plate bassist

L Plate bassist

Jun 26, 2005
    Hi
    I am after assistance from the Bass crowd out there in helping me to join your fold. I wish to learn the Double Bass / Rockabilly style, unfortunately due to cost, space and wife its not possible to get one yet to learn on. Now this is where you all come in...... Pardon my ignorance, but if I learnt to play Bass guitar could I then pass on this knowledge to a stand up bass? Would I be better off on a fretless bass? Anyone help me? Please forgive my lack of musical knowledge.

2. I can't completely answer your question, but I imagine that you'd do well on a lined fretless neck. I think SX may be a good bet... www.rondomusic.net. You could also shop around on www.musiciansfriend.com, www.music123.com, and www.zzounds.com for other brands like Ibanez (SR300DXF), Yamaha (RBX series), and other cheap fretless basses.

You listen to Reverend Horton Heat or Hank III???

~Ryan

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Nah. Go get yourself a decent plywood double bass. Rock-a-billy DEMANDS that you do so. :D

Not sure on the going rate for rentals ($75 a month?), but maybe a 3/4 student model would cost you around $800-$1000 to buy outright.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think...very little of the mechanical aspect of playing an electric bass of any kind is going to be applicable to the mechanics of playing a Double Bass. Electric Fretless lined or otherwise is such a different scale length that it may cause you to get habits that will just need to be unlearned later.

The business of learning music.....you can do with any instrument...or no instrument at all for that matter.

You may want to ask over in the Double Bass room if you haven't already.

But..be careful. Some of those guys take it VERY seriously.
    God help you if you call it a "Doghouse" :D

5. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    This is the perfect BG for playing rockabilly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16222&item=7332729731&rd=1

OK, that one wouldn't help your situation at all. Yes, some BG stuff will transfer to DB. If you learn fretless you'll learn to listen to your pitch more closely so it's slightly better than fretted. But 1/4 size plywood DB, 3/4 size EUB (electric upright bass) or even violoncello would be better for learning relevant skills. But someday you will need that 3/4 size plywood or aluminum DB. If at all possible, start with one right away.

6. sandybass

sandybass

Aug 21, 2005
    You said "aluminum!" I own an old al. URB w/ faux wood finish (what's left of it), wood fingerboard & tailpiece. I've seen the 1932 "Etude" article, viewed photos of a couple jazz bassists' instruments, and read bluegrass works, violin forum, mugwump's and STLBlues Review's comments. Oh yeah, and I checked out the ebay link you provided. Cool, but is it aluminum?

Anyhoo, anyone have any other info on where/when/why/how, etc. these basses were first built?

BTW, the bass has great sound and can really carry. A good bass player (not me) could do without amplification with the right setup.

I'm learning and don't want to sell - would just like to have its "pedigree."
    Thanks in advance -

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Do NOT get a Dean Pace bass. It's an electric bass without a body on a stick. Plays nothing like an upright.

2. Yes, a lot of what you learn on electric bass will transfer to DB with some slight differences. As a matter of fact I picked up DB fairly well in about 6 months, enough to bypass three chairs in my high school orchestra after playing for about 4 months. These people had been playing DB for years and I can assure you electric bass really helps. Even a fretted bass.

3. Don't EVER buy a cheap URB. They're more harm than good most of the time, difficult to set up and need more replaced than they're good. Get yourself an Engelhardt EM-1 when the time comes, 2nd cheapest model, less than $100 more than the bottom of the line and definately worth it to get the rosewood board and tailpiece rather than "ebonized hardwood" and set aside about another $500 for new strings and a good setup including fingerboard planing and an adjustable bridge installed. May want to look at having your neck french polished as well.

This is basically what I did and it worked fairly well. Wish you luck in your DB ventures.

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Check over on the doublebass side of things for info on aluminum basses. Pretty sure I've seen a thread on them over there. Also, could've sworn that I saw an article on the front page of talkbass about these suckers a while back.