Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help required with MM Sterling sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, Jun 19, 2004.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    I have a Fender Jazz MIA and a MM Sterling. Just been playing both through my new rig which is GK700rb into Mesa Boogie 1516.

For slap the MM sounds awesome but for finger play I cant get the MM to sound as good as the Fender??

It sounds too bright and seems to pick up loads of noise from strings etc (could be bad technique :bawl: ) but the Fender sounds awesome with fingers.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can get that Fender sound from the MM or is it not possible?
    I have tried dialling in some more bass but its still bright as a button.

I love Fender!!

Steve

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    If it is a problem I'd be more than willing to take that terrible bad not very good so I don't know why you would want one Sterling off your hands for you ;) I couldn't really help you here though... Dave LaRue gets a good finger sound out of his Sterlings.... Maybe just play around with all the knobs and switches for a while... :eyebrow: I couldn't really say. Do you have a pic of your bass though? I would like to see it. I've been farting all over for a Sterling recently (too bad they only come in 4) My next be will hopefull be a Sterling though!

Good Luck

Baker

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    A Stingray 5 - now this is a secret, so don't tell the others - is a big Sterling. Mum's the word.

BTW, on getting better fingerstyle tone out of your Sterling? Try some flatwounds.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Mum's the word? I dont get it. But either way I actually do prefer 4's, I just find myself needing that B string often and didnt feel like having 1 bass in EADG and BEAD so i had to pass on a sterling, and because 2 grand was slightly outa my limit.

5. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Heres a pic, its not great quality but you will get the idea!

I guess I will keep playing with the knobs :)

Steve

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

I think that the sterling is an small 4 string stingray-5 and it isnt any kind of secret

7. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can get that Fender sound from the MM or is it not possible?

i think it's impossible to make the fender sound from the mm since they're two totally different instruments. but try playing near the neck instead of resting your thum on the pup... that will help...

I have tried dialling in some more bass but its still bright as a button.

try adding a lot of bass a little bit of mid and cutting some highs... or have you already tried this?.. from my experience with my stingray this is pretty much the closest you'll get....

good luck.. if you come up with a better eq combination let me know..

wish i had a fender..... :(

8. Ernie Balls are very mid-shy, exactly what Fenders are great at, so you really gotta do some serious fiddlin' with the knobs to dial up a meaty finger tone. Your GK is a good combo, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.
    Try setting everything flat on your Sterling, and get the best sound you can from your amp first, then use the bass controls if you need after.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Really? You mean everyone KNOWS?

Thanks, Einstein.

10. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I didn't know.... :oops: by the way, nice bass!

12. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Well, i dont know if you know what your knobs do, but if you want dark tone out of it while still having it punchy and cutting through, turn the knob closest to the bridge all the way up, then the one to the left of that anywhere between 1/3 to 3/4 up depending on your taste. I usually have a pinch of mids in there to. Eq your amp more bassy for a ray/sterling, because they tend to be brighter basses.

13. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for the replies guys..I think my problem is more to do with the amp settings...I played the bass through a friends Roland Cube 30 and it sounded amazing whatever the eq on the bass (ie the know settings). The GK is new and I guess I havent got the hang of it yet :meh:

steve

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The G-K's EQ took some time for me to get used to also.

If you move the 3-way selector switch on your Sterling all the way towards the neck, your pickup is wired in 'series'. I find the 'series' wiring gives me the most mids while retaining a beefy tone for fingerstyle playing. Try dialing a little of the highs out, boost the lows slightly, and then push the mids up to suit your taste.

Between the Sterling's EQ and your G-K's EQ, you'll find the tone you're looking for.

I hope this helps, -A.P.