help resolve my argument about a guitar!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    okay, two x-masses ago, my eventual guitar player received a black fender stratocaster. as the story goes, the tag hanging from it said that it was built in the USA, therefore it had a $900 price tag (or so).

upon closer inspection, however, the decal under the fender logo says that it is a mexican strat.

i keep on reminding him of this (whenever he tries to pass it off as an ultra-premium quality instrument-he's using a shoelace as a nut, for chrissake!), but he always claims that it has to be an american fender since he paid "american money."

i reassure him that he is an idiot...for overpaying.
    he says that i am wrong...

what else do i need to do to convince him that he's wrong (so he can try and get some money back hopefully. hey, maybe he saved a receipt).

just one of the several conflicts between my guitar player and me...
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Mexi Fender Serial numbers start with an "M".
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It sounds like he's not going to listen to you no matter what you say, so why even worry about it? If you convince him that he's wrong and he does get some money back, are you going to get some of it? If not, why do you care?
  4. 2 Christmaseses is a long time ago...I doubt any guitar store would give a refund since you didn't complain earlier.
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd say,......

He's a damn fool
  6. If he's happy with it, what difference does it make?
  7. A guy I play with bought a American Custom shop Strat. He paid about $1600. So with that in mind I am just guessing that the $900 Strat that says it was built in Mexico was built in Mexico.

I am not a history buff but I am pretty sure Mexico has not become an American state.

Musicians Friend does have an "American Strat" for $899, after that they jump up to $1000 or more.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yet more evidence that guitarists truly are a mentally handicapped bunch of people. has he asked you if you want to see his bubblegum yet? or made pretentious allusions to the fact that he is, in actuality, Batman?
  9. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I just bought a new American Series Strat (yes I play guitar too) last Friday for $799 at GC. The decal and serial # don't lie. Have him raise holy hell with the music store and tell them his dad (?) is thinking of getting a lawyer because they misrepresented the product. Hey, it can't hurt to try!
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tell him you did some research on line, and found out that in that particular year, the factory in Corona, CA ran out of USA necks, and had to borrow some from the Mexican factory. Fender has since issued a recall, and you can take the guitar to any authorized Fender dealer, and they will give you a new neck with the "Made in USA" decal on it. They will install it for free and, as an act of good will, they'll throw in a free setup. Guitar Center has hundreds of necks sitting in each store because Fender still hasn't publicized the recall. Very few people know about this.

11. So how come you know.........;)
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    You won't resolve this. The truth doesn't really matter. For some reason the guitarist insists that it's a top dollar instrument. The reasons are either that he's a fool or a liar. Do you really want to spend a lot of time with him?

Edit-smiley added :) to show that I'm talking rubbish (although Munji doesn't do it)
  13. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    guitarists are just stubborn...
  14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    munji, you sarcastic curmudgeon, you!

i kinda've dropped it since i've told him that the M in the serial number denotes that it is, in fact, a mexican-made, and even though they may be better (some prefer them over american fenders), they are much cheaper.

also, he has no receipt (as far as he knows...).

after i basically proved him that he was in the wrong (for once :D :D :D ...heh heh), he said something to the extent "but in this one fender catalogue i saw a mexican/AMERICAN guitar..." sure, i believe it...

the only advice i'll bring up to him regarding his instrument now is to get a real nut! (shoe string can only do so much!)
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    shoelace? Uh...mayeb do he doesn't have to palm mute? :confused: