1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help -- rig advice needed! Amperg? Acme? Avatar? EBS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Jun 13, 2003.

Which rig should I get?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2003.
  1. Add a powered cab to the EBS

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Ampeg SVT3 pro + HLF410 (oy, my back...)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Acme b-2 rig

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Avatar rig

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, I posted before that my EBS 210 combo isn't loud enough for some of my gigs (though I love the tone). Unfortunately, it's a 4ohm combo, so I need a powered speaker to make it louder. Trying to buy used, good value gear. I play a 4-string fretted and fretless in hoiday, and I've got the following options in front of me:

I have the EBS combo (resale = ~$650) and about $500 cash.

1. Try and beef up the combo with a powered cab. I've been dissuaded from biamping by John at bassalone, who believes it's more trouble than it's worth. That means I've gotta buy a cab and an amp -- at this point, it seems like I might as well go with separates and sell the EBS.

2. Local guy has an Ampeg SVT3-pro and HLF410 classic cab he'll sell me for $750 or $800. This seems like a great deal, and I could get a smaller cab (112-ish) for small gigs. I'm worried the rig might be too dark, though -- I like a more SWR-ish tone based on playing the head at guitarcenter. It seems to have a very flexible eq, though -- anyone with experience?

3. I've got a line on an Acme b-2 for $335 shipped. I'd need another $700 to put the rig togeher (used QSC, RBI)

4. Avatar 210 + CB115, plus the QSC, RBI rig.

2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    if you like the tone of the EBS then keep it. But when your budget permits it would be ideal to get a whole new rig. try lots of different amps and cabs, and then make a decison.

3. 8_finger

8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Keep the EBS combo, and for the 500$ you can get power amp + cab and use the EBS's pream out to feed the power amp.

4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I love my Acmes, but if your EBS 210 isn't loud enough, you'd need a pair of them.

5. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yikes... thanks for the tip -- that's exactly what I was afraid of. I'd love a 2xb2 rig, which could double as a PA, but we're into $2000 territory at that point :(

I think if I went with a whole new rig I'd want a 210+115 setup anyway for maximum flexibility, so maybe it's best to keep the EBS. I wish there was a powered 115 out there with, say, 350W amp built in. Then...

-I could use the 115 + sansamp for old-school tone
    -I could keep my 110 for "modern tone" small gigs
    -I could pair 'em up for 600W of funk power

Maybe my best bet is a used poweramp and an Avatar CB115, but I hate the thought of that extra amp unit to schlep around...

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I agree. The powered PA cab idea is a good one too. Try 'em out at GC to see which has the low end you need. There should be a Mackie in that price range, and I'm pretty sure there are PVs and Samsons, maybe JBL.

7. I think Carvin has powered pa cabs too. The powered cab will add more power and some bottom end. It all comes down to this: are you attached to the EBS combo...I mean is that you're tone?

8. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    +1
    Find a used QSC and get an Avatar 4x10" or 2x12".

9. Get an Avatar 1x15 and a power-amp with a x-over. I know that you have been told that bi-amping isn't worth the time. I can only tell you that I've used a Peavey 2x10TX (which is a 2x10 combo) with a 1x15 bi-amped. The overall tone was much cleaner and the volume improvement had to be at least 6db.

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    While I really like my Avatar speakers, I also think you should check out several powered speakers first.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yet another agreement with above strategy.

12. I think I do this too much! I recently purchased an Acme Low B-4. This is one hell of a cabinet!!! I would suggest this thing to ANYBODY in a heartbeat. At only $695 shipped (new!) you could focus the rest of your dough (scrounge up a little more?) on a decent power/pre-amp set up. You'll need at least 1000 watts.

I'm running a Peavey DPC 1400X with mine but I think that's a little out of your price range. You can find Peavey CS series amps all day long on E-Bay for a decent price (or any of their line with 1000 watts or more @ 4ohms). If you don't mind the weight, the CS 800X or CS 1000X would both handle things fine in bridged/mono. Make sure you get the 4ohm version of the Low B-4.

That's what I would do (did!).

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    $361 Avatar B212 (w/Deltas)
    270 QSC RMX850 power amp
    ----
    $631

A little over budget (or you could get a 2nd hand RMX850 or just get an Avatar CB112 (Delta) $228 + the power amp).

14. I've got nothing but good things to say about my Avatar CB115 cab (without the tweeter)... Excellent lows, good enough highs for a 15 (just make sure bridge and neck pickups are parallel in output (for better rounded out highs)... But a 2x10 with that CB115 should be a kickass rig man. Im only pushing 240 watts into this and it seems like enough... However it's easy to clip my amp when i want a little gain from my bass's active pickups... But that's 240 watts. The cab seems like it can take in 1000 or so :)... I gotta plug a REAL amp into this cab just to see though;)... Im using a hartke 3500 and running it at 8 ohms...