Help -- rig advice needed! Amperg? Acme? Avatar? EBS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Jun 13, 2003.

Which rig should I get?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2003.
  1. Add a powered cab to the EBS

4 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg SVT3 pro + HLF410 (oy, my back...)

5 vote(s)
  3. Acme b-2 rig

4 vote(s)
  4. Avatar rig

8 vote(s)
  1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, I posted before that my EBS 210 combo isn't loud enough for some of my gigs (though I love the tone). Unfortunately, it's a 4ohm combo, so I need a powered speaker to make it louder. Trying to buy used, good value gear. I play a 4-string fretted and fretless in hoiday, and I've got the following options in front of me:

I have the EBS combo (resale = ~$650) and about $500 cash.

1. Try and beef up the combo with a powered cab. I've been dissuaded from biamping by John at bassalone, who believes it's more trouble than it's worth. That means I've gotta buy a cab and an amp -- at this point, it seems like I might as well go with separates and sell the EBS.

2. Local guy has an Ampeg SVT3-pro and HLF410 classic cab he'll sell me for $750 or $800. This seems like a great deal, and I could get a smaller cab (112-ish) for small gigs. I'm worried the rig might be too dark, though -- I like a more SWR-ish tone based on playing the head at guitarcenter. It seems to have a very flexible eq, though -- anyone with experience?

3. I've got a line on an Acme b-2 for $335 shipped. I'd need another $700 to put the rig togeher (used QSC, RBI)

4. Avatar 210 + CB115, plus the QSC, RBI rig.
  2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    if you like the tone of the EBS then keep it. But when your budget permits it would be ideal to get a whole new rig. try lots of different amps and cabs, and then make a decison.
  3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Keep the EBS combo, and for the 500$ you can get power amp + cab and use the EBS's pream out to feed the power amp.
  4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I love my Acmes, but if your EBS 210 isn't loud enough, you'd need a pair of them.
  5. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yikes... thanks for the tip -- that's exactly what I was afraid of. I'd love a 2xb2 rig, which could double as a PA, but we're into $2000 territory at that point :(

I think if I went with a whole new rig I'd want a 210+115 setup anyway for maximum flexibility, so maybe it's best to keep the EBS. I wish there was a powered 115 out there with, say, 350W amp built in. Then...

-I could use the 115 + sansamp for old-school tone
    -I could keep my 110 for "modern tone" small gigs
    -I could pair 'em up for 600W of funk power

Maybe my best bet is a used poweramp and an Avatar CB115, but I hate the thought of that extra amp unit to schlep around...
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I agree. The powered PA cab idea is a good one too. Try 'em out at GC to see which has the low end you need. There should be a Mackie in that price range, and I'm pretty sure there are PVs and Samsons, maybe JBL.
  7. I think Carvin has powered pa cabs too. The powered cab will add more power and some bottom end. It all comes down to this: are you attached to the EBS combo...I mean is that you're tone?
  8. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Find a used QSC and get an Avatar 4x10" or 2x12".
  9. Get an Avatar 1x15 and a power-amp with a x-over. I know that you have been told that bi-amping isn't worth the time. I can only tell you that I've used a Peavey 2x10TX (which is a 2x10 combo) with a 1x15 bi-amped. The overall tone was much cleaner and the volume improvement had to be at least 6db.
  10. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    While I really like my Avatar speakers, I also think you should check out several powered speakers first.
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yet another agreement with above strategy.
  12. I think I do this too much! I recently purchased an Acme Low B-4. This is one hell of a cabinet!!! I would suggest this thing to ANYBODY in a heartbeat. At only $695 shipped (new!) you could focus the rest of your dough (scrounge up a little more?) on a decent power/pre-amp set up. You'll need at least 1000 watts.

I'm running a Peavey DPC 1400X with mine but I think that's a little out of your price range. You can find Peavey CS series amps all day long on E-Bay for a decent price (or any of their line with 1000 watts or more @ 4ohms). If you don't mind the weight, the CS 800X or CS 1000X would both handle things fine in bridged/mono. Make sure you get the 4ohm version of the Low B-4.

That's what I would do (did!).
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    $361 Avatar B212 (w/Deltas)
    270 QSC RMX850 power amp

A little over budget (or you could get a 2nd hand RMX850 or just get an Avatar CB112 (Delta) $228 + the power amp).
  14. I've got nothing but good things to say about my Avatar CB115 cab (without the tweeter)... Excellent lows, good enough highs for a 15 (just make sure bridge and neck pickups are parallel in output (for better rounded out highs)... But a 2x10 with that CB115 should be a kickass rig man. Im only pushing 240 watts into this and it seems like enough... However it's easy to clip my amp when i want a little gain from my bass's active pickups... But that's 240 watts. The cab seems like it can take in 1000 or so :)... I gotta plug a REAL amp into this cab just to see though;)... Im using a hartke 3500 and running it at 8 ohms...