1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Rig choice dilemma - Epifani or Traynor...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stonecoldbass, Jan 15, 2012.

1. stonecoldbass

stonecoldbass

Jan 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    Hey people,
    I have just moved to Vancouver BC from Sctoland and after searching Craigslist I have two possibilities for buying a rig.

One is a mint condition Epifani UL 502 with a series 1 ul210 and a series 2 UL15
    The rig is in showroom condition with footswitch, rack case ad protective speaker covers.
    I can have it all for $1600

Other option is an all valve Traynor YB 200 with matching 210 and 115
    Again, minto condition but I haven't had much experience with this company
    I can have the whole rig for $900

They are obviously 2 very different rigs and both great deals. The best rig I have ever owned was an Epifani 410 and an Aguilar DB750 so I'm defo a fan of Epifani. However that was a monster valve head, the 502 is a different beast.
    However, I have been using an Avalon U5 for around a year as a pre amp into and GB Shuttle 6 and was happy with the sound, and as far as I can tell the 502 is like a U5 with good EQ.
    And with a $700 price difference it's hard to decide!
    So basically, all valve goodness or insane pristine solid state power...
    Any help?!?

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Save the cash and get a fantastic Canadian rig. Spend the surplus on groceries, jamspace, and being kind to fellow musicians (and people in general)

Use it for some extra sake at a sushi joint sometime and have a better night overall, perhaps...

Vancouver's a great city for building momentum and every extra advantage helps to really get to know the city and area.

I love BC's coast. Lived in VanCity for a few years and would love to be there again someday.

You won't need your Avalon with the Traynor. Awesome amp.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Let's see...

If someone was selling a UL1 210 for $500, a UL1 115 for $500, and a 502 for $600, and I had the bucks and no rig, yes. But I would prefer a UL410 or two UL210's to the 210/115 set up—though if the dealer has more epifani cabs, try several arrangements.

My favorite is a 4 ohm UL1 410 + an 8 ohm UL1 210. 610 in which each driver gets equal power, but modular for easy transport and very flexible! You could get part way there by getting just the 8 ohm UL1 210 and wait for a UL1 410 to appear used, which they do—though not mine!!!

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The Epi rig will prob give you more clean volume.
    But the Traynor will be tubey good...but distort fairly early

5. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    Traynor stuff is kick a$$ but the YBA 200 and 15+210 cabinet setup was the weakest fartiest set up I have EVER played through. very suck.

6. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Be patient, keep looking and see if you can snag a vintage Traynor. I've seen loads of YBA-1s on Vancouver CL (just never when I'm heading anywhere near Vancouver or I'd have one by now).

7. I'd go the the Traynor, then I'd sell the 210 & get a matching 15"cab

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Duplicate threads merged. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

9. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    this
    :hyper:

trynor is a great canadian company.

10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    "trynor" may be a "great canadian company," but I don't have the impression the OP is asking about sourcing. I think he is wondering if the price difference is merited. IMHO, yes.

And, getting a 4 ohm 410, whether from Canada or Brooklyn, New York, instead of an 8 ohm 210/115 rig, will give better results, IMHO.

11. stonecoldbass

stonecoldbass

Jan 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the feedback. I plumped for the Epi rig as it sounded immense and is a pretty sweet deal as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's more transportable, louder and will hold it's value better for resale.
    Hopefully I get to use it on a gig soon!!
    Craig

12. stonecoldbass

stonecoldbass

Jan 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    Won't this drop the UL502 output to below 4ohms? As far as Im aware it is a 4ohm minimum load, and a 4ohm cab plus an 8ohm cab is a no go....?

13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'd go with the Traynor, but only because I don't know jack about Epiphany.

14. stonecoldbass

stonecoldbass

Jan 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    Ephidantly....

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Yes, 4 + 8 = 2.67 ohms. You may be correct about the 502. In which case, I would go with two UL 210 or two UL 115 cabs, assuming your dealer has other Epifani cabs.

Also, there ARE other heads. Not sure about BC, but check the list for 2 ohm capable heads. IMHO, it is worth it having that capability, assuming you also love the sound (Carbine M9 is my fav). :cool:

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I see you have an Epifani 410. Is it the NYC series or UL? How many ohms?
    To tell you the truth, I use my UL1 210 more than anything, but the UL1 410 goes to anything bigger than a coffee house...says a lot about my gigs, lately, LOL!