Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help! rig distorting!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hrothgar, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    It's getting a little frustrating. :mad: I can't figure out where it is coming from. Here's what I'm running:
    Mike Lull Vintage 4 ~> Demeter VTBP-201 ~> QSC PLX 1602 (stereo) ~> (2) Berg HT112's
    I've tried different basses, cables, amps, pres, speakers, power outlets... I can't isolate the problem anywhere :crying: . But it's pretty nasty sounding, almost as bad as a distortion pedal with just a bit oif overdrive. Everybody comments on it. And with a rig like this, I should be getting a good sound. Any help?? :help: I've got a couple big gigs coming up this next weekend! :eek:

2. If your bass is active, change the battery. If the Demeter pre-amp uses valves, borrow a good substitute from somebody and check them too. That's my best guess. :meh:

3. batteries is my first and best guess. Is this a new development or has it always been there?

4. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    It's always been there, and the batteries are good. I've tried multiple basses on it and it doesn't make a difference.

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Hmmmmmmmm... :meh:

How about a bad or poorly seated tube within the preamp?

6. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    If you really have "tried different basses, cables, amps, pres, speakers, power outlets..." than it's probably a problem with your settings, most likely your gain settings.

7. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    it's not the gain knob. Probably the tube. It must've been that both pres I tried had a bad tube, b/c that's the last thing I can think of. i'll replace it and see what happens.

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not saying you have a bad gain pot, I'm saying your settings might be wrong.

9. Maybe you need to back off on the input gain a little.