Help! Right hand pain from poor picking technique... how am I supposed to hold it??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dmaki, Apr 9, 2002.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've been playing bass for 2 1/2 years or so and never really used a pick, but for my band I find the sound that cuts through is acheived through using a pick. However, I know I'm holding it wrong because my thumb gets a sharp pain and then my entire hand starts to hurt. My guitarists hold the pick while bending their thumb, but I've started a bad habit of having my thumb go the other way (I'm mildly double-jointed).

What I'm wondering is, How am I supposed to hold the pick, and are there any practices I can do to build up my speed and strength correctly?

2. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Do whatever's comfortable, but don't hold it too tight. Practice alot to build your endurance!
  3. Remember.. the string needs only little vibration to generate a tone.. hold the pick very gently, but tight enough so that it doesn't fall out of your hand.

if you pick the string too hard, it will fart out.. crappy sound and stringlife will be reduced..