Help!! RoadCase/PedalBoard Needed For Carry-On Pedals/Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, Dec 15, 2005.

1. There has got to be someone on TB with a Ph.D in physics/geometry (and dealing with annoying airlines) to help me with some travel issues for my gear! ;)

Can anyone suggest a road-worthy travel case that would fit/protect the following list of equipment and might also double as a pedal board? I would like to have some type of sturdy case (not too heavy, but very stable) that can safely contain ALL of these effects/heads AND be allowed onto a plane as a secondary piece of carry-on baggage. Ideally, I would love to have a case that simply folds out on stage with all of these pedals ready to PLAY! Yeah, I am a BIG DREAMER! :)

I wonder if there is something on the market that can accommodate this gear for air travel? That is my ultimate goal, travel-wise. Granted, the Epifani head is the largest piece of gear in my chain so it probably won't make it on all of my concert trips (but it would be nice if there is some kind of road case that it would fit in!). Does anyone have any suggestions/out-of-the-box options that will suit my business goals?????????????

1.) Morley ABY Selector/Combiner = 5 1/8 " X 3 1/8 " X 1" (All Dimensions As L x W x H)
    2.) Peterson VS-S StroboStomp Tuner/DI = 5" X 3.875" X 2.25"
    3.) MXR M-80 Bass DI+ = 5" x 3-3/4" x 1-1/2"
    4.) TBD Volume pedal (Probably a Morley or an Ernie Ball)
    5.) Digitech BP8 Multi-Effects = 18" X 8.75" X 2.75
    6.) Boomerang Phrase Sampler = 17" x 6" x 2" steel chassis
    7.) DOD Bass Flanger = 5" X 3" X 2 1/8 "
    8.) Epifani UL-502 = 13"W x 11"D x 3" H (2 RU)
    9.) Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus PSU = 6" wide x 3.4" deep x 1.75" tall (152x86x45mm)

**Plus tons of cables, etc.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  3. I wonder if any of these happens to be ATA approved for flight? Research, research, research!! ;)
  4. That might be a solution but you'll have to baggage check it and the BP-8 (18"x 12") is gonna eat up most of the space so it'll be a real squeeze to get your other desired pedals on there. It'll be 45-50 pounds with all the pedals & power supplies on there, not something you'll wanna lug thru an airport. You'll never get that thru a security check, they may want to completely dismantle each device to be sure it is not explosive or containing other contraband.
    You'll want a seperate rack for the head (another piece of potentially lost, stolen or damaged baggage), but it could be a shock mounted rack and you caould adda drawer or 2 for cables and other misc. goodies.
    Are you planning on travelling solo for performances or clinics, or as a band member? Each has it's own problems and solutions. Most travelling musicians put most of their care in instruments and other gear is often a write off if lost so they keep it easily replacable stuff or if it is an unusual item then they have replacement spares that can be sent out.
    If at all possible you will be better off shipping your auxilliary gear by a common carrier; UPS or FedEx; rather that the airlines, it's cheaper, much more relaible and trustworthy, trackable and insurable none of which can be said for airlines.
  5. I have no experience flying, but I know my original Pedaltrain is worth its weight in gold. I got 2 when Mus. Friend discontinued them at $80 a piece. Very good boards & quite sturdy. I feel sure the new "Pro" model is even more secure & ATA safe.
  6. I would love to have something with the metal Pedaltrain design with the NGM style second tier addition, all housed in a NYC Pedalboards case of these have their obvious strengths.

United Airlines = * A carry-on bag must fit under your seat or in the overhead bin.
    * Carry-on bag dimensions should not be more than 9" x 14" x 22" (length + width + height) or 45 linear inches (the length, height and width added together).

Those small dimensions BLOW!

Yeah, the crazy 17 and 18" lengths of the BP8 and Boomerang don't really help!! Nowadays, aren't there software plug-ins and robots to handle of these sounds anyways? ;)

7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Pedaltrains are ATA Approved
  8. I am now thinking that using two of the smallest pedaltrains coupled with a solid flight case (that is small enough to carry-on) might be my best option for flexibility, regarding carrying my effects onto a plane.......................... Hmmmm....need to get the tape measure out.