Help Routing My Signal for Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bluehevy75, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I am a bass player who is in a band that tracks live a lot in our practice space. I want the quality of the bass signals we are recording to improve.

I am running two amps. I split the signal coming out of the bass with a Lehle p-split and run one amp clean and the other amp dirty (I have a loop with boss ls-2 , fuzz, qtron, micro pog, etc).

In the past we have been mic'ing both amps. But I am pretty sure we will get better sounds if I can run a clean signal direct into the board.

My clean amp is a '68 B-15. It has an "external amp" jack that I thought I could run into the board. When I tried this the amps volume decreased by 75%. This is no good for tracking live. I do not know if this is normal.

Then I thought, "I'll get a DI box." But all of the low z jacks on the mixer are used up so I'd be going into a high z jack. But this makes me nervous as I've already split the signal once and don't know if I should be splitting the signal again.

Agghhh! Help what should I do?

2. What mixer are you guys using?
    Is the dirt channel, getting all of it's dirt from the amp or a the fuzz pedal?

One thing I would do, would be send a D.I clean signal and mic the dirt amp, then on the board set a high past filter and cut everything below 200/250hz off of the dirt channel.

You failed to mention, what's the second amp you're using?

3. LehleSupport

LehleSupport

Jan 21, 2011
    Germany
    splitting the signal again is no problem with another P-Split II, you can try it first to split between one amp and the mixer to get an idea of the recording quality. the output will deliver a clean bass signal while the ISO out sends a balanced signal, makes it useable as a DI.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021