1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help running a different Preamp with a DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chrisrhoads, Oct 21, 2006.

1. So I am wanting to bypass my Aguilar DB750 preamp and run my Avalon U5 off of the poweramp of the DB750. I assume its just a matter of plugging into the poweramp in on the back of the DB750 but I am not sure which out to connect from the U5. Do i use thebalanced output that has a mic level at 150 ohm and a line level at 600 ohm both are xlr or do i use the 1/4 inch phones jack which is 0.5 w into 600 ohms. I tried to search to get some info but couldnt find anything that really explained what to use and why. The 1/4 inch would seem to be easiest since I dont have a xlr to 1/4 cable, anyways any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had experience using the DB750 as a poweramp? I thought it would be nice to have a second rack of a Demeter/Kern/Reed Purity/Avalon u5 to plug into when I want a different tone.

Thanks so much,

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Your best bet is to purchase an XLR to 1/4" cable, it's only a few bucks. Then use the Line Level out. The headphone jack probably would work, but something just doesn't seem right about it.

BTW, Kern->DB750 sounds phenomenal

3. That is one beautiful rig