1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!!! Sadowsky experts!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djsplatmaster, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Hey Guys!,
    My names Raf. Im new to talk bass and Im looking for some help identifying a particular bass. I was told to come here from a friend of mine who is a talk bass regular so Im giving it a shot. I came across this bass that I LOVE but I dont know if it is a Sadowsky? I love the tone and everything about it. If anyone can help me out...Heres the link...
    http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/sessions_flash
    Once there go to the "Sessions Archive" and search for Corinne Bailey Rae and view her videos to see the bass player and the bass that Im talking about.

Im seriously considering buying a bass just like the white one in the video. So is it a sadowsky?

Thanks!!!!!!!

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Pretty sure that is not a sadowsky, if you're talking about the white bass. Different headstock, different string tree. That said, it has that modern J vibe to me.

3. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Not a Sadowsky. There aren't any in-focus close ups of the headstock so I'm not sure what it is. The headstock on that one is very similar to a Fender.
    The Sadowsky headstock is different. It doesn't have a bulbous end. It has an edge to it.

4. Can anyone identify the bass?

5. Dude, I glanced at the headstock again, I see what your saying from one angle at first it looks like a Sadowsky but now the headstocks looking like a Fender...The thing is that Fenders are not known to be solid 5 strings...I don't think it's a Lakland because of the bridge...possibly a Fender Custom shop?

I think this is it dude! Fender Custom Shop, if you look at available colors Olympic White is available...
    Custom Classic Jazz Bass V

http://www.fender.com/customshop/instruments/search.php?partno=0157500883

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Haven't seen the vid yet, but the Fender J 5 has improved dramatically since the 2004 version came out (4+1 headstock), much better than previous generations. Guess Lakland and Sadowsky had to show them how huge the market demand was for a top-flight J-style 5-string.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    BTW, her music seems to have some tasty groovin' going on. Very refreshing young talent.

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    I don't think it's a Fender either. I could be wrong.
    Looks like a smaller, custom maker crafted this bass.
    Are those MOP sharkfin inlays on the fretboard? :)

9. dragonbass

dragonbass Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    I think it might be a Atelier Z 5 string.

Rob

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Nah. String tree is wrong. Definitely not a Sadowsky though.

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    +1, I think Rob is right.

12. I don't know what brand it is, but if I were you, I'd buy a white Sadowsky 5-string and you'll be happy.

13. streamerstii

streamerstii Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    i would definetly go with the idea of getting the sadowsky however, the bass that he is playing looks like a sei jazz

14. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'd guess that bass is an Atelier Z as well, or maybe a Moon.

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It looks like an Aterlier but the headstock is not quite the same, and all the Ateliers I've seen without a pickguard do not have a metal control plate. They usually do transparent pickguard and transparent control plate, or regular pickguards with metal control plates.

16. If you guys notice in the video...His bridge setup is a flat square setup oppose to the rounder bridge used on a lakland. Another thing I noticed was that he is plugging in from the front face of the body rather than the usual bottom side of a bass. Heres the link so you guys can glance at it. Remember its under "Corinne Bailey Rae" video. http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/sessions_flash

Im torn between the lakland or sadowsky?
    Feedback appreciated?
    Thanks guys!
    Raf

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It is clearly not a Sadowsky or AC (wrong headstock) and not a Lakland (wrong bridge). It's either an Attilier Z or Fender Custom Classic (which are very rare). The Atiller's are actually guys who use to work with Roger Sadowsky and for a while his shop was where the Sadowsky Tokyo's came out of. He also does pearl blocks. I believe Groove shop still carries them.

18. You will be tickled pink with either one. I have total confidence in both companies.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021