Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help searching for a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tage, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Hello everyone. I need a bit of help looking for a bass that suits my tastes/style. My price range can go as high as about $600US, but after that I can't really afford anything.

Basically what I'm looking for is something with a fast neck. The thinner the better-- Not thin from bottom of the neck to top, but thin from the back of the neck to the front. So in other words, teh shorter the distance between my fingers and my thumb on the neck, the better. It doesn't matter to me if it's active or passive, but it must be a four string, and as far as style goes, pickguards are always sexy.

I play mostly rock/prog-rock/post-modern type stuff. So anything from Pink Floyd and The Who to Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Thanks!

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sounds like you are looking for a Geddy Lee Jazz. You can pick one up used for around 500 bucks. Thinnest back to front neck I have ever tried. You may want to test it out though. Thin necks (back to front) aren't for everybody. Personally I prefer the thickness of my MIM jazz neck simply because it is more rounded than my Geddy and slightly thicker.

3. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Thanks! I'll look in to it.

4. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I second the Geddy Lee, but I'm a fender guy. If you are on a tight budget, try one of the higher end SDGR from Ibanez in the early nineties. Thy're dirt cheap and play very easily. For tone you have to consider the SR 800 or better.

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    geddy lee jazz, p bass special(has a jazz neck im pretty sure), or like albass said, a good ibanez.