1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Seeking info on an early 80's Japanese Fender Precision Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonepolice, Oct 14, 2009.

1. I've got hold of a Made in Japan Fender Precision bass guitar here in Kathmandu locally for sale.

The bass is light at 8.37 lbs. There is no serial number anywhere. I opened the neck and the datesays 2-9-83, so I'm assuming its a 1983 instrument. It says "Made in Japan at the heel of the neck.

Interestingly, engraved in the backplate just below the Fender logo is a Japanese sounding name "Shinjo Kosako" but like I said there is no serial number anywhere else.

You can tell that the bass has not been looked after well and was stored for a long time. But there are no major dents anywhere that I was bothered by. It sounded great even when plugged into a crappy Marshall bass amp of a friend.

I'v alway wanted to own a Fender P-bass. How are the MIJ of this period rated? How much are these early 80's Japanese Fender P Basses worth? Appreciate any information on this. Thanks a lot!
    Here's the link to the pics of the P-bass in question!

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/575096285JnmCYw

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Around the time of that basses production, Fender was sold from CBS to a group of people (FMIC) but they did not recieve the factory as part of the deal. For a brief period, Japan was the producer of the bulk of Fenders line. As to the exact cutoff date and serial numbers, who knows, not me. But it is a Fender in every way and if you like it and feel the price is right, do it

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Chances are, it's an amazing player and probably sounds great. 80's MIJ Fender stuff is killer. Up to MIA standards IMO.

I'd snag it if the price is right.

4. The neck/headstock/logo look like a 62 reissue which if true in 83 that would have had the serial number on the neckplate so my guess is someone replaced the neckplate.

To the previous poster Fender did not loose the factory with the FMIC takeover until the mid 80's. The earliest reissues were around 82-84 and were all made in the old Fullerton plant.

Probably a very nice bass but it does look like there might be some replacement parts.

5. From another source I learnt that when Fender Japan launched and introduced this model they had the option of having the name of the owner engrave his/her name on the neckplate hence the name "Shinjo Kosaka" there. He told me that this was done only to the first hundred or so.