Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Series Mod not working

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FatCity, Nov 13, 2004.

1. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Hi,

I went out and got a push/pull pot this morning to try the series mod. Apparently, I have wired something incorrectly.
    FYI- Pickups are SD SJB Hot Jazz
    Here is what I have:

EF
    CD
    AB

I have A wired to the body ground

I have B wired to one of the connectors on the bridge pot, which is wired to the tone pot.

I have C wired to the neck pickup ground (black wire)

I have D wired to the bridge pickup (white wire)

I have E and F wired together

I have the neck pickup (red wire) wired to one of the connectors on the push/pull

When I plug the bass in I get sound, but no volume control from either pot. When I pull up on the push/pull I get nothing. Tone control works as normal.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

FC

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    dude instead of writing what you did make a drawing with the electric scheme.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Given you're saying 'one of the connectors on the bridge pot' as opposed to saying 'lug' leads to me to believe this is probably your first time doing anything like this, right?
    It _sounds_ like it's all wired correctly. Check again and make sure nothing is touching that shouldn't be - no gobs of solder between the lugs or wires inadvertently touching - either on the two vol pots or any of the lugs on the DPDT switch.
    But yes, a photo would definitely help.

4. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    This is my first time trying this- I have replaced my pickups with no problems, but this isn't working out so well. I have disconected everything and am going to start over. I am replacing the neck pot with the push/pull- I have been working off of one of the threads here- does anyone know of a good schematic that I can use?

Thanks,
    FC

5. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    I should be replacing the tone pot, not a volume pot, shouldn't I?

FC

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    go to fender web and look for schemes there (they are there is just that i cant remember where), first try the normal electric config to check if everythings allright, then you can copy fenders S-1 switch scheme (you might have to get a new push pul pot for this)

7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    No... you'll want to replace the standard neck volume pot with the push/pull volume pot. The shop that I had do this mod for me (because I simply SUCK at soldering) replaced the original volume pot with a 500K push/pull pot. The push/pull pot, though, is a bit too tall so the volume pot is no longer quite level with the bridge volume pot in my Geddy Lee Jazz bass. In hindsight, I would probably replace the tone pot with a DPDT on/off/on switch, making a series/mute/parallel situation.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not necessarily. It can be any of them. It sounds like you've wired it correctly, so that's why I'm asking about making sure no lugs are touching etc.

9. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Well, I haven't been able to figure this out so I hardwired it- with TI flats on this is the tone that I have been looking for. I would still like to do the switch eventually but the hardwire is great for now. Thanks for your help all!

FC

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, sounds familiar. I can only jack with something so long then it's time to just get fire and play. Then I'll hit it again when I'm up for it. Sometimes it takes a few shots but it comes to pass in time. Like skiing, when you pick it back up the next season, somehow you're better than where you left off. But like David referred to, any time you get a bunch of wires crammed into a small space, it's easy for something to short even if the connections are otherwise correct.

11. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Well, this weekend I would like to try and install the push/pull switch again. If there is someone out there who replaced their neck volume pot with the push/pull, I would greatly appreciate instructions on how you did it. You can see from the first post in this thread how I tried (and failed) to do it- any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

FC

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's definitely another thread out there with this, I remember typing this before.

Using your same A-F mechanism, under the assumption that E and F are the lugs at the end of the DPDT switch nearest the actual volume pot itself.

Unsolder the neck ground wire from wherever it's grounded (probably back of volume pot)
    Solder that to lug C of the DPDT.
    Unsolder the bridge hot wire from the lug on the bridge volume pot it's currently connected to.
    Solder that to lug D of the DPDT.
    Connect lugs E and F of the DPDT.
    Solder a wire from lug A to ground.
    Solder a wire from lug B to where the bridge hot was previously wired.

13. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC