Help setting crossover frequency please!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Dec 5, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hello all,

Have a gig this friday and I will be bi-amping for the first time!

I have a 2x10 and a 1x15, my pre-amp is an Ashley Bp-41 Bass pre-amp.

the Ashley crossover is operated like this.. set the Frequency and the Ratio of Highs to Lows.

The latter is a taste thing problem.

but the Frequency...I need some advice.

Where should I set the crossover point if I'm sending my lows to a 1x15?

I want a nice piano tone with strong mids, (I'm playing Police tunes which require a quick response,...Sting's lines were those fast double picked lines lines with a pick)

31.5 ?
    40 ?
    63 ?
    1.25 ?
    315 ?
    630 ?
    1.6k ?
    3.15k ?

somwhere in between these?

Please help!!!

p.s. How will bi-amping affect my existing EQ settings, (parametric and regular)

Klark kent
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    try them both on there own and then see which handles the low end better? (it might not be the 15) you can do an even split if you like thenm both equally, or run just the very highest of the highs to the 210 or lowest of the lows to the 15. it's a matter of taste really. experiment with what you like but then be ready to change that as needed in the room you are gigging...
  3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it would also help if we knew what kind of cabs you are using too ;)
  4. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ah yes the cabs....

Trace Elliot 2x10 200@8ohms

SWR Workingmans 1x15 200@8ohms
  5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i am not real familiar with trace cabs so i personally can't halp you out sorry... my guess is that it will have the same or lower response as the wm 15...

season to taste i guess...
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Try setting the crossover frequency so that neither channel in your amp is clipping and you have the tone you desire.
    You probably want most of your tone and definition coming from the 2x10. The 15 could then fill out the bottom end.
    You might try starting at 200Hz and work down from there to 100Hz. Since the 2x10 is a full range cabinet this could be a good range.

I used to set my crossover around 150Hz when I was using a 4x10 cab with a 1x15" cab. When I moved to a 1x18" cab for the lows I changed the crossover the to 100Hz. When I use 2 1x18" and 2 4x10 cabinets I set the crossover to 75Hz.

Splitting your signal into Highs and Lows should allow you more headroom and dynamics from your amp and can be less taxing on your speakers.
    Typically you have a "cleaner" sound bi-amping using the same amount of power. You may even be able to get a increase in volume from bi-amping because of the additional headroom in the amp.
  7. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles

Thank you for being so specific, I really appreciate it. This is exactly the information I needed, (& depend on with talkbass forum...everybody here is just fantastic!)

If you want to post anything about EQ'ing and bi-amping feel free, but this is really what I needed, have a great weekend bro!

klark kent
  8. BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    Just as an FYI, my JBL SRX manual for my PA system suggests setting the crossover at 70hz, when using my 18" subs and 10"(and horn) satellites. This leaves the subs to handle the extreme lows that you feel more than hear, and keeps the satellites with some punchy low thats what I use.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll let you know soonzai get that WT-800 and futz around with it. I'm guessing somewhere between 63 and 125 hz.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    SWR cabs in general dont have very low frequency response, so i would probably say that youd be better off just using the amp with both hannels full range, or with the Trace taking the lows and the SWR taking the highs.

11. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The 2x10 should give you better highs and mids than the 1x15 (unless the 1x15 has a horn in the cabinet).
    The 1x15 may not have as much clarity as the 2x10 cabinet (unless again it has a horn).
    You may try biamping the speakers either way but I think you would get the most volume and cleanest tone with the 1x15 on the lows and the 2x10 for the Mids and Highs.
    Typically larger speakers (such as 15s or 18s) move more air and are more suited to low frequencies (but the cabinet design will also affect the sound of the low frequencies). Larger speakers also tend to be "boomier" and "muddier".
    One reason to biamp (highs to one speaker and lows to another) is to get a cleaner sound and get the most out of your components without distortion. Another reason to biamp is speaker protection. Most 2-way PA speakers have built in crossovers with the lows filtered out going to the high frequency driver because they can not reproduce those frequencies very well. Your home stereo speakers may have crossovers in them for the same reason.
    Many 4x10 cabinets have a high frequency driver included with an internal passive crossover to help produce cleaner highs.