Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Setup problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sanitarium, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Hello all,

I have a Fender Aerodyne IIJ Jazz bass, with the black on black pickguard and P/J pickup config. Anyway, I was having some serious fret buzz problems and was in need of a new nut, so I brought it to my local music store (Murphy's Music in Huntington Station, NY) to have the nut replaced, get set up and have a set of DR nickelwounds put on. I get it back today, start playing it and realise it still has some bad fret buzz, on pretty much all the strings. I'm wondering what happened, and if anyone could shed some light on what would cause this, please let me know. thanks!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Actually, if it is buzzing on all frets, odds are the relief is fine but all the strings need to be raised at the saddle.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah sounds like it was set up too low, or for a player with a really light touch.

Do check the relief, but it sounds like it's probably pretty flat if you're getting a consistent type buzz across all string and down the neck, so it is probably ok.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, too little relief normally results in buzzing on frets 1-5., not all of them.

5. Gotcha guys. some questions:

How high should I raise them?
    Should I take a picture for you guys?
    What size allen do I need?

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd start by turning each bridge height screw by about 1/4 of a turn up...and see if that helps...you may have to do it a few times, but keep track of what you've done so you can put it back if needed.

Don't know what size hex wrench you'll need, it depends upon the bass and the bridge. You should go and get a set of metric/english wrenches at your local hardware store...they're cheap and great to have around.

7. No, because of the replies to this thread. I'm going to adjust the strings the way BurningSkies said to do it, and if that doesn't work, I'll check the relief.

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    What you need to do before you begin tinkering with it, is read the Fender setup FAQ. It will answer all of your questions, and tell you the proper sequence. Right now, you are taking the "throw solutions at the problem" approach, which is not only inefficient, but in the end, you won't know exactly what you did that fixed the problem.

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Why not bring it back to the store you already paid for a set up.

10. I would, but I was very lucky to get a ride to the store to drop it off and pick it up, and would much rather do it myself than wait another couple of days for the guy to get to it and fix it, when I could just have it done myself. So if I'm reading correctly:
    -Read the Fender FAQ(done)
    -Check the neck relief
    -If the neck is fine, adjust the strings at the saddle

Correct order to go about this?

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sounds good to me. I like the other link posted above in the stickies too...good for a bit more detail.

My advice is to go slow, take your time and make sure you note exactly what you do along the way. Sometimes when you make a bunch of small changes it can snowball, so it's good to take your time and make sure you can follow your steps backwards.