Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! SG Copy...stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean S, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Okay, so my dad has this (somewhat) useless SG bass copy.
    The neck is warped and is pretty much out of commission, playability wise. He's tried (in a very unorthodox way) to straighten it, but I believe it's toast. Now, I want to buy a replacement neck for it, but I've searched google and can't find any.
    Anyone know where I could start?

2. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    www.stewmac.com or www.allparts.com There are also some on musicians friend i think but I wouldnt bother...Also for some of the higher end stuff you can get graphite necks. I cant remember the name of the company but just search graphite guitar neck in google and youll find it but if the bass is really just a useless EB-0 or EB-3 copy it may not be worth it.

3. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    o and how could i have forgotten- www.warmoth.com they have some good stuff and its not all in the generic fender headstock and scale lenghts and nut widths. You can also get fretless and other options if you want

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    i think it's basically in the generic fender scale lengths and nut widths.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Most SG style basses were short scale. The only places where I have seen shortscale necks are are WD or allparts, (canb't remember which) and they were danelectro necks. You might be able to put a full scale neck on it,but you might have to change the position of the bridge.

Just something to consider.

Karl

Of course you could buy the 100 dollar short scale sx pbass and just use the neck (you would probably have to file down the neck heel a bit.) the price of the whole bass is about half what you would pay for a warmoth neck. Not a bad idea if it really is a cheap bass to begin with.

6. Thanks

I've checked out stewmac, warmoth, allparts

The bass actually sounded decent (even with 30 year-old flatwounds :eek: )

I'm kinda going for the look, though, as well as the playability.

So am I bassically out of luck?

7. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    You can get a new Epiphone EBO for around $200 or so and save yourself a lot of hassle. I have one, and it's no doubt better than any copy. It's got the look, playability is good, and it has the classic mudbucker sound.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would say get the epiphone. It is a simple bass that will serve you well and give you the look.

Then get the 40 dollar neck from the rondo music website, and have some fun moding the crappy old sg copy. You could move the bridge(for the 34'' scale), add a pickup to the bridge or mid position, maybe string it BEAD.

Alternatively, if the old sg copy has a good sound, you could get the epi and switch the necks on the instruments.

Have you tried to see if Epiphone would sell you a replacement neck?

9. good idea...

I haven't tried seeing if they'd sell a replacement.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    IMO a total waste of 200$

I had one that I got new for 210 a few years back, worst bass ever.