Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help!!shall i get a Japanese Fender Precision Lyte?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dootch2000, May 24, 2004.

1. dootch2000

dootch2000

May 23, 2004
    help!!shall i get a Japanese Fender Precision Lyte?
    I`ve got this bass guitar to try at home, Japanese Fender P Lyte and I`m not sure about it. It`s in good condition, very light, no scratches, action a bit high but can be fixed and the price is £450 for a second hand one.
    Think it`s a bit to much. Any sugestion would be apreciated.
    Cheers.

Dootch :bassist:

2. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    My first bass was a P-Lyte but it always had a bad neck )bought it used) so I upgraded to a P-Lyte deluxe about five years ago. It has held up fine. Be sure to have someone check out the neck on this bass. The P-Lyte deluxe is now my backup bass, but a great, light bass that I'll always keep.

What does 450 pounds translate into in American dollars. I saw a P-Lyte on today's posts here for $350.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had the same problem with my P-Lyte. The neck needed to be adjusted often. Very unstable. I also didn't like the pickups. Other than that it was a decent bass. I've read that the reason Carol Kaye stopped using them was the neck, so I think it is a common problem with them.

I now have the new version, the Fender Zone, and it is far superior. Great sounding pickups/preamp, better hardware, stable neck, just as light but with an alder body instead of basswood.

4. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I read somewhere that the P-lyte has a different sound than a regular P. Thinner sounding, is that true? Logic says that if the lyte sounded just like the normal P but weighed a lot less most people would play the lyte but I have not seen many people talk about them.

5. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Basswood doesn't sound like alder, that is the main difference.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'd be honest and say that £450 second hand sounds a bit steep!

For that kinda money you can get a MusicMan SUB on Ebay brand new....US made (I got mine form ebay for £470 brand new).......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3726334298&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Just a thought! I tried a P-bass lyte 13 years ago......and OK instrument. Ended up getting a used P-bass Special then that I still have. Picked up an SUB about 2 months ago and have hardly put it down!

If you do fancy a P-bass Lyte....keep looking, you can get cheaper than that used and in good nick!

7. I had a Lyte a while ago.. and hated it. It was noisy and felt cheap. The neck was unstable.

£450?? Run away!

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
  9. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Having played both the P-Lyte and P-Lyte Deluxe, I think the Deluxe version is far superior and they seem to pop up on E-Bay now and then.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Does anyone know what year Fender introduced P-Lyte I foudn one MIJ model with a serial F008550 which shows me 86-87 is this possible?

Cheers

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
  12. dootch2000

dootch2000

May 23, 2004
    thaqnkx guys that was a great help, i have send it back had a bad feeling about it and rather invest on a new Fender jazz/Pdeluxe.
    All you guys said was what was wondering in my mind the whole time............many thankx again! :hyper: keep looking at my alembic and my zoots and think "what a great sounding instruments i`ve got...and stop thinking about Fender!" :hyper:

13. Wise decision, Dootch. There's a Fender out there for you, though. What sort of sound were you after?

14. dootch2000

dootch2000

May 23, 2004
    thankx wateroftyne, i`m looking for a full defined punchy sound as i use Marshall amplification and i get that from the basses i`ve got, getting a Fender i know it will be a great sound but has to feel good too, it`s just the body and the height that bothers me, every one, usa made, i`ve tried they`re heavy or body`s to big, neck too thick and i haven`t hit the one that feels good on me. Still, i`ll keep looking out for one that feels good. My Alembic Orion5 feels great as it is and i`ve got Zoot costum made basses 5/4 wish are great and feel good, so...even my semi acoustic Godin5, a bit heavy but the neck`s just like butter, almost melts in your hands, it`s great and wonderfull sound. So...still i`ll try and have a go at other Fenders or maybe other makes.cheers

15. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Fender Zone, Fender Aerodyne Jazz. Both very lightweight. I have a Zone, and it is a great bass, slim jazz width neck, and much better than the P-Lyte.