1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP! SHIPPING BASS TO AUSTRALIA? FEEDBACK PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Milstein, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Hey Folks,

I am sure many of you have shipped basses to Australia (and other overseas locations) but I haven't yet. Always want to avoid the shipping cost and potential hassle.

But if I were to ship a bass, with removed neck to minimize carton size and to reduce shipping cost, what is the most cost effective, best way to ship the body/neck, and roughly at what cost to Queensland, Australia?

Many have said shiping USPS Parcel Post will be under $100, but I am not so sure.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Joey

2. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Endorsed Artists: Tone-Guard Anodized Aluminum Pickguards, JAM Pedals
    I'm shipping a bass to Russia on Monday and going through USPS is only $146.30. Amazing, I know.

I even called the post office because I couldn't believe how cheap it was and they confirmed it.

So maybe the that estimation is pretty close.

3. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    THANKS,, was this in-tact or did you take the neck off? do you know what the weight / dimensionss are? appreciate the quick feedback.

joey

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Because of size limitations, it would be best to ship a bolt on bass taken apart and sent USPS. Cases are too big.
    Now with that said, maximum allowed insurance on Postal is usually around 650-675 bucks per box. So if its an expensive bass, I like to package the body and neck in separate boxes so you can insure each box at maximum coverage.

5. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Endorsed Artists: Tone-Guard Anodized Aluminum Pickguards, JAM Pedals
    It's a Rick, so taking the neck off isn't an option. Dimensions are 52x6x18. Weight is about 27lbs. I calculated it here,
    Postage Price Calculator , and was so shocked by how cheap it was I called the post office. You can even fill out the custom forms online.

6. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Yeah, i went to that site and the cost that was calculated was much more prohibitive and that was for a much lighter smaller box - but that was also for 1-3 day delivery. i will bring it to USPS to options i guess...

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've shipped basses from the US to AUS, but the USPS won't allow a package to exceed 42" using either priority mail, parcel post or global express to australia, so that was not an option for me. you can ship one in two boxes (or even one box) if you removed the neck on a bolt-on but i couldn't since it had a hardshell case

fedex and UPS were way too expensive (more than $640!) so i used a local freight forwarder called 'shipito' that shipped it via fedex for $330. it was kind of a hassle but it got there safely in 5 days.

8. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    hmmmm... yeah with the neck off, i created a box that is 36" in length to accomodate the neck. total weight is 15 lbs. i think parcel post is best, but i am not sure. thanks!

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    in that case, i'd go with priority mail international since you can track it that way.

10. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    i just dont want the shipping to be more than the cost of the bass!! :help::eek:

11. i once ordered a guitar off the interwebs from the US and had it sent to Melbourne (where i am). it was a neck thru geetar, so i didn't have an option of having it taken off. they packed it incredibly well though over in Chicago, so when it arrived i simply had to get it set up and the neck adjusted. it cost around about $250 for shipping unfortunately, but it was still cheaper than buying it retail here.

just be sure that it doesn't go over $1000, or you'll be liable for a big customs surcharge.

12. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    ok... thanks. if that's the case, mine should be much less. it is a relatively inexpensive bass, $400 and is parted out with neck removed so in a much smaller box. hoping it will be half of that or less via USPS. will let you know what i find when usps opens tomorrow.

13. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Hey Joe, if its that fretless yammy than just remove the neck and wrap the hell out of it with bubble wrap and get it in the smallest possible box you can find. Both neck and body can go in the one box as the value of the bass is under AUD$1000. It should cost around the 100 mark depending on the size of the box via usps. You could look at a postage calc you watn 'any large package over 12"' option. And look for 'priotity mail international'. That will give you the best price adn get it to the buyer from 5-10 business days (usually).
    Alternately ask the buyer to set up a shipto.com account. It will be easier for you and cheaper for him. You could refer your buyer to ozbassforum.com there is a very detailed thread there describing how to import basses from the states effectively.

14. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    thanks,, yes its the yamaha. i parted it out, created a box from a larger guitar box to measure 37x8x20 and the neck, body and gigbag fit nicely (34 inch neck + the bubble wrap) and weighs 15 lbs or so. i went to the usps website to get a quote but only option is for the express 1-3 day option which was cost prohibitive. couldnt find another. so i will bring to usps to get an exact cost. appreciate the input.
    joey

15. unless i really need to sell a bass I stick to this continent, that said I am going to be living in israel for awhile so i will probably be shipping some of my basses over , taking the neck off and using parcel post is the cheapest , you cant track it but if it was lost they could look it up in the system with the custom id code , just make sure they scan the package in when you drop it off so its for sure in the system , i have had packages not get initially scanned in and a headache of phone calls occured

16. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Shalom v Behatslechah! Mazal Tov.

Joey

17. fantastic, keep me updated! :)

18. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    If you can get your length plus the girth (I assume that is the 2 sides plus the top and bottom measurements) under 79 inches it will be much cheaper but thats not possible with your current box. (37+8+8=20+20=84 is close)

Hey valentine if this is your bass I'd strongly recomend you set up a shipto account, their postage rates are cheaper.

19. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    how did you come up with 84"? 37" length + 8" depth + 20" width = 65 inches total, no? :help:

thanks,

joey

20. oh no, not my bass! i did this years and years ago, before shipto accounts were around :)

and sorry Joe, i completely misread your post. i posted my comment as if you were the one who was purchasing something shipped from the US, thus why i was warning it not to be over $1000AUD (almost 1:1 anyway). still, it's good to remember as a seller i suppose, anything over $1000AUD including shipping is really not worth it for the australian buyer unless the difference is so vast between australian retail and american retail!

good luck with your sale, i have personally had no problems with guitars (wasn't a bass but an ibanez iceman ic400) that have been shipped internationally, so long as there's a decent amount of foam.