1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!...Shipping my basses interstate.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by totallyfrozen, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Hey,
    We're moving out of Alaska (finally!) and I'll be taking my instruments.

I have one electric guitar and two electric basses. They all have hard cases (but not ATA cases). I'm thinking that I'll go to UPS or FedEx and get 3 of the boxes they have that are designed to hold cased guitars/basses and taking my instruments as checked baggage with the airline.

Then I'll pick them up at Sea-Tac airport, pack them in my vehicle, and drive with them to Texas.

Does anyone have experience doing this?

I'm a little nervous about it because of the reputation of baggage handlers with airlines...the whole "United Breaks Guitars" kinda thing.

Suggestions?

2. --BUMP--

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Rondo sells flight cases for 100 bucks. Best money I ever spent - I toured around Asia for years and mine still looks brand new.

4. Yikes! $100/case?!
    I can't afford that right now with the other moving expenses.

Thanks for the idea, though. I may invest in those later on when I can spare the money.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    100 bucks for a flight approved case is CHEAP! Normally they're 2-300....

6. I don't doubt that point. It's just that I can't afford to spend $300 for the cases right now. Since Alaska is separated from the contiguous 48 states, everything leaving here has to go by air or water. It's expensive getting our of here.