Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!! Should i change a bass string the day of a gig?!?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by seanboy50, Feb 27, 2004.

1. seanboy50

seanboy50

Feb 27, 2004
    Help!! :bawl:

I have a gig tonight and use a Mark Hoppus signature Fender bass with seymour duncan pickups. i changed the strings last week but have been unhappy at the E string as it sounds very dead. its the first time its happened so i wanna change it but am worried that it will keep going out of tune for the gig tonight. should i do it???

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    1.) Welcome to TB:) Hope you stick around!

2.) This is the "Basses" forum--try and post in the correct forum (i.e. "Strings") next time. Don't worry though, we won't crucify you.......yet. ;) :D

3.) Why not? I make a habit of stretching my strings whenever I put them on. I put the bass in my lap, slide a couple fingers from my right hand underneath the strings where the neck meets the body, put my other hand across the 12th fret, and stretch them lightly. Make sure not to stretch too hard or you'll stretch them too much and they won't stay in tune, or worse yet you'll break one.

I'm not sure if anybody else here does that, but I always do it when I re-string because I know that I won't stay in tune if I don't.

Also, I personally think it'd be worse to NOT re-string and have a "dead" sounding E string than to have to tune throughout the night.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    if you instal the new string properly it won't go out of tune. When I change strings on my basses I tune the bass, play for 5 minutes, stretch the strings a little, tune again and from that point the bass stays in tune. Check the strings forum and search for posts regarding the correct method to change strings.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. seanboy50

seanboy50

Feb 27, 2004
    ive changed the string and, following your tips, it all bodes well so far! ill keep messing around with it to make sure it stays in tune but it should be good to go. thanks for the assistance.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nah, just follow the advice above and you'll be fine.

If you want to experience a tuning nightmare, try changing a set of nylon guitar strings an hour before a gig. Ouch. Bass strings behave much better.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i always wind up changing all my stings on gig days. i stretch them near the nut, stretch them near the bridge - i keep going back and forth until it stays in tune. i sometimes tune it a half step higher and let it sit for about an hour, then drop it a whole step - let it sit, tune it up to normal pitch, stretch it again and go. never had a problem. the half step thing may do nothing but i use it as insurance cuz sometimes the neck tension gets weird after i take all the strings off to restring string it. i like to believe it puts it back in balance.

I'm surprised you changed only one string? wouldn't it be out of balance with the others - as in really bright?