1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: Should I go buy the Maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickn, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Yes, I would pay $200 to have the fretboard I wanted

72 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No, I would not pay $200 to have the fretboard I wanted

21 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Other (Specify in thread)

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    So during GC's clearance sale, I went in and saw three MIA Jazzes on clearance. One in "Blizzard Pearl" with a rosewood fretboard, and two in black with maple fretboards. I really, really liked the maple fretboards, but for some reason the clearance prices were nearly $200 more than the Pearl bass with the rosewood ($710 for the Pearl versus $890 or so for the black). I loved the way the glossy maple board looked, and it felt so smoooooth and nice under my fingers. Alas, I ended up buying the Pearl bass because it was so much cheaper. I figured, "Eh, it's only a fretboard, it's not worth the $200 extra."

But as I've been playing the Pearl, I've been wanting that Maple more and more. My dad has an '08 Strat with the glossy maple fretboard and it's just so AMAZING. I love the feel and looks. The dull, unfinished rosewood is just boring in comparison. I'm thinking about returning the Jazz that I bought and buying one of the Black n' Maple Jazzes, and paying the $200 premium. But I really don't know if it's worth it.

Am I just experiencing buyers' remorse for the rosewood/GAS for the maple? Or am I actually justified in wanting to spend the extra money just for that fretboard? What would you do? Thanks for any advice you have to offer. I'm really torn. :(

2. No doubt the rosewood would be nice, but im with you on this one. I love the maple too.

If I were in your positin I would take it back and get the maple. The way I see it if you're going to spend that much on a bass, you may as well fork out a bit more and have the instrument you really want. Would you rahter $200 now or $890 later on when you realsie that you really want it.

Just my view on it, but either way you're going to have a great bass!

Cheers,

Dave.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    +1 on the maple. If you don't get the bass you love then you'll just end up with the bass you settled for.

4. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    I am more of a Rosewood guy myself. Would never consider it "dull"...:eyebrow:
    But it is very clear you prefer maple and that's ok. Don't settle for anything else and gooooo for the maple !!!!

5. I've done that before and regretted it. You won't be happy until you get your maple board. Take it back and exchange it.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Did you ask if they would sell the maple for the rosewood price? If you didn't, give it a shot. The worst they can do is say no. Chance are they might, or at least meet you halfway.

7. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Blizzard Pearl and rosewood sounds like a delicious combo, but it sounds like you have your mind already made up. If your dropping MIA cheese, you might as well get want you want.

8. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I have 3 rosewood basses and 2 maple.
    I tend to play the maples way more often.
    For some reason they just feel more solid under my fingers and have a crisp snap to their sound.
    Not that I don't love my rosewood basses too.

9. Take it back... then trade up to the one you really wanted from the 'git go' Mister! Maple fretboards are a little more problematic down the road, but nothing can beat the look and feel of a genuine maple fretboard. ;)

10. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all the input guys. It looks like I'm gonna have to go down to GC tomorrow and see if they still have the maple-boarded jazzes. :D I think the reason the rosewood bass was cheaper is because it's kinda scuffed up from being abused by people trying it out, and there's a small dent on the bottom. I don't think I'll be able to get the maple-boarded jazz at the same price. But hey, it's worth a try. :D

Could you tell me a little more about this?

11. Tell them you want to exchange it because it IS scuffed up. :D
    This is the first I've EVER heard that a maple board would be any kind of trouble down the road. If anything, it's the opposite.

12. I was always under the impression that maple was a bit of a pain in the arse when it came to wear and tear, cos depending on your playing style you can end up wearing through the lacquer and exposing the untreated wood, both my basses have these marks on the fretboard. Dunno if you can clean them up, but they also seem to go a nasty black/v. dark brown too, probably can.

You'll get wear on a Rosewood board, but I've never owned a Rosewood board bass so I dunno what the effect is after time, got a Danelectro guitar which is Rosewood, but I haven't owned it long enough to see any wear yet and what the effects of it are.

Get on the haggle if you want a Maple, might even just be some stupid pricing error. Either way if it's a clearance sale then they'll wanna get rid of that stock, although haggling in big shops can be a bit problematic compared to smaller businesses.

13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i think it depends on you.
    it looks as though it would be your main bass, right?
    if you really liked the maple so much and you plan on keeping it for a while, then i would say go for it.
    for me, bass is my number 1. nothing brings me more joy. so i always tend to go all out.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I'd go for what you really want, why deny yourself, if you can afford it.

15. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

+1...if it's one thing I've learned about dealing with GAS, it's that you have to try and get what you want or it will just get worse which in the end can sometimes cost you even more than if you would have just purchased what you wanted in the first place. If you have the extra $200 and you feel it's what you really want then I would say get it.

16. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    In my experience I have found that rosewood necks have more issues then maple necks. I have had to do way more trussrod adjustments on rosewood necks. I don't know exactly why this is, maybe that the rosewood is a softer wood then the maple and it offers less stability?

17. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm starting to think I like the TONE of the laquered maple fretboard better. It seems to ring out clearer and more focused.

18. Oh... "a little more..." Sure.. of course rosewood and maple both have pros and cons like almost anything.. The "issue" with maple fretboard necks which has already been pointed out is the 'wear 'n tear' on the clearcoat, which eventually will have to be patched or refinished. Would that ever deter me from getting another instrument with a maple fretboard thou? No way..

19. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    F**K yes, get the maple!

Too bad one of the choices isn't blizzard pearl with maple. That's just way too sexy! (and I'm not much of a Jazz guy).

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Personally, I love the Blizzard Pearls, maple OR rosewood. But the main question is, when you played all three, did any of them jump out at you tone-wise? In other words, did one sound better than the others, or did they all sound the same?

I have 3 rosewood-board basses and 2 maple. I really have no preference. They all sound great. That's really a good price that you got the Blizzard Pearl for. But if they all sounded the same to you, I can tell you won't be happy unless you go back and get one of the black ones.

If you haven't made the swap yet, why don't you snap pics of the B.P. before you take it back. Then take pics of the Black/maple once you get it. I'm sure most of us Talk Bassers will be glad to give you OUR honest opinions as to whether you did the right thing! ;)