HELP! Should I return my SWR Workingman's 12 and get the Ampeg B100R???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Yes you fool! Get the Ampeg!

21 vote(s)
  2. How could you think of returning an SWR?

11 vote(s)
  3. Who needs an amp?

3 vote(s)
  1. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    :( I cant decide whether or not i should...I hear the Ampeg is a lot better for rock but I also play jazz and slap does it work for those situations??

i also need volume - im in a hard rock band(ozzy/zeppelin/tool) and need volume to get over two loud 60w tube amps ( :rolleyes: ) and heard the ampeg is a lot louder than the SWR. is the SWR loud enough for band rehersals?

thanks a lot guys i cant play with my band until the 30 day return period is over so i really need your help!

thanks again,

please go here i opened a new thread and no longer need your opinion on this one...thank you :p
  2. I have owned this amp for about 6 months now and it never was able to cut it for my rock band I suggest you take it back and save up your money until you have enough to get an AMPEG B2R and a 4x10 ( or you could get what i got a SVT3 PRO and a SVT 6x10) but the answer is NO there is no way that amp will cut through and i dont think the ampeg 100 will either
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    keep the SWR,put the bass at 0,pump up the treble high,and keep the mid at with a pick to get maximum cuttage!well atleast thats what matt freeman does to be heard over 2 guitarists.
  4. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    whos voting for ampeg but not writing anything??? and i only got 1 vote for SWR and two people wrote about it... :confused: :D

but seriously guys if you vote for ampeg please tell me why.

thanks all
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had the workingman 10? (the little one that sounds great in the store), and returned it immediately after trying it at a rehearsal. I'd have needed 2 of em strapped to my head as headphones to hear myself. I am quite confident that the SWR with the 12 inch speaker isn't going to cut in a rock band.

I traded my SWR for an Ampeg BA100 combo. It just barely did the job. I had to fiddle a lot in some situations to get it to cut, and I felt I was really pushing the amp.

Check out Peavey amps. I think their combos give the most bang for the buck. If you do a search on Peavey you'll see lots of people agree. I have one that's about 25 years old, and it cuts through every single gig, with volume to spare. It's 130 watts, has a 15" black widow speaker, and I paid about $200 for it used. It was my first bass amp, and after buying/returning/selling a bunch of amps, I've become committed to it.
  6. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I can't speak for the Ampeg at all, but I have used a Workingman 12 a couple of times. I like the tone a lot, but I don't think it plays loud enough for a good band.
  7. I really don't think that these combo's will cut it for you. You probably need a lot more power and more speakers, if not 4 10s then 2 10s and a 15. Small combos like that just won't have the umph that you need. If you need a small rig, you could get by with a single 15 and a powerful amp.

8. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    can you add an ext speaker to the ampeg?? if not, should i keep the SWR and save up for a 2x10? that really defeats the purpose of a portable combo though...

i dont know if i have enough money for a head and cab..only about $500 and the cheapest head i found was a used carvin for $400 leaving only 100 for a cab and they didnt have any used ones anyway so i wouldnt have a functional amp till they get a $100 cab in stock... :confused:
  9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've had a WM 12 and still have the B100R. I only use the B100R at practice.
  10. I've played thorugh and SWR and Currently own an Ampeg B3, best amp i've even used. Even with the bass i can cut throught the 3 guitarists in the band
  11. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i currently use a ampeg svt350h and ampeg classic 4x10..its a great dependable set up and you can find em pretty cheap used.i play in 2 guitar rock band and i have plenty of volume to spare
  12. i heard black widow speakers are really loud and good way better then most? is that true?

13. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    yeah i heard black widows are nice too... but now peavey is usin mostly blue marvels... too bad
  14. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
  15. FWIW, I had a Workingman's 12 a few years ago. And it just barely made it thru easy rehearsals, much less full-volume gigs. No bottom end to speak of without fartin' out on low notes (B/C/D), and the tweet on/off didn't seem to do a whole bunch for me. About all I found it good for was in-the-house practice. Sold it within a few months for half what I paid for it.

I'd have to take the Ampeg if that's the only option.

Might look into the Carvin ProBass 200-15. More power w/a 15" and about the same money/cheaper.

Peavey's also got some mighty nice stuff for the money. I've used and owned Peavey amps and basses for a while. AAMOF, my current backup amp is a Peavey Mark VIII that I bought used. The TNT 115 is a long-running model that seems to fit your requirements.

Hope this helps, but YMMV!!!

See ya!

16. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I voted for the Ampeg because I have one;) I love it too. Awesome rock tone and plenty loud for a 100 watter.
  17. Don't know about the SWR WM-12. Had a WM-10. Well built, sorta nice little amp for bedroom practice. Tried it at a band practice once and never bothered again. Also, the sound was so weird that I gave up on it totally after a few months and sold it.

I have an Ampeg B-100R. Fabulous amp. Gets that old traditional thump that Ampegs were famous for. Comes about as close as you can get to a B-15 as you can get without actually owning a B-15.

I use my B-100R for band practices and small venue gigs. It works beautifully. It has more than enough volume for these activities, unless your band is playing at rediculous volume levels. I rarely have the volume level above 3-4 for practices and 6 for small gigs. Usually lower for both.

However, if you're playing medium to large venues, the B-100R won't cut it. I use an Ampeg SVT-III or a Peavey Firebass II head with some combination of the three Ampeg cabinets that I own for these types of gigs. The cabinets are an SVT-410HLF, SVT-210HE, SVT-115E

I picked up the SVT-III head with 115 and 210 cabinets, used, for just under $700, about 2 years ago. If you shop carefully, there are a lot of good deals out there. Just don't get itchy and pull the trigger to soon. You'll find what you're looking for.

Good Luck!
  18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I would suggest either an Ampeg B2, or a Peavey Combo 115. Both are pretty loud, and you can add external cabinets to get even more power. They also both have a really nice tone IMHO.
  19. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    sorry basslax
    my name forever was guitarandlax (cause those 2 things are pretty much all i do) but since i switched from guitar to bass, i found it fitting to change my handle to bassandlax. lol. sorry bout that. btw, does ur lax = lacrosse?

20. I own a Workingmans 15 and it has worked great for me. I can have all the low end I need and if I do need to cut through more you can always boost the MID and cut a little LOWs. Also, I don't know about the 12, but on the 15, if I get an external speaker hooked up I will be running 200 watts instead of the normal 160. as far as Ampegs go, I don't think they are bad I just don't like their sound to much. and it could also be because one time I went to a 4 day music festival where I saw about 150 bands play, and I'de say about 95% of the bands there played ampeg stuff. It was a little weird. Getting back to the point.....I think you should either save up and get something of SWR a little more powerful or maybe just add on to the exsisting 12. Cheers