Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Sitting here with my bass in pieces!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnL, May 28, 2001.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm sitting here trying to install some DiMarzio DP123's in my MIJ Jazz. I'm confused. There are 4 wires from each p/u, red, green, black, and white. The instructions say to solder red to leg 2 of the respective pot, and solder green to the back of the respective pot. No problems. The black & white wires are apparently for use with a series/parallel or phase switch, which I don't have. So the instructions say to (quote) "solder the black & white wire of each pickup together". Does this mean solder black & white of p/u #1 together, then solder black & white for #2 in a SEPERATE connection? Or, does it mean to solder black to black, and white to white? Thirdly, if you read it long enough, it starts to sound like you solder all four together! I know lots of you guys recommend this p/u; any of you do the work yourself? BTW, I checked their website, and their instruction there is an identical copy to what I have here, no diagrams. Thanks!

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    What ever you do don't cut the blue wire !! (sorry I was watching the Poseidon adventure tonight)

Yes.

Solder the black and white wires together for each pup. Do not connect both pups together into one big joint.

The pups you are putting in are humbuckers so there will be two coils in each pup, the red will be the hot end of coil #1 one, the black will be the 'earth' end of coil #1. The white will be the hot from coil #2 and the green will be the the earth from coil #2. (white and black could be the other way around - without them in front of me and attached to my meter I'm guessing here)

Basically you are just wiring the two coils in the pup in series (one after the other)