Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Sorting out my "Perfect Bass"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parsonsj, Apr 7, 2005.

1. parsonsj

parsonsj

Apr 7, 2005
    Shalom fellow bottom-feeders! :bassist:

I need a little help from any of you in the know about different basses. Okay, so here it is: I am currently playing (among a couple other basses) a Pedulla Rapture J2 with bird's eye maple board. This is a 35" bolt on with 19mm (extra-wide) string spacing and slightly oversize frets. The two Js are Bartolinis, but I find them very quiet - almost as if they were passive (tho they are active w/9v preamp). I set the action low, have a prof. setup done to eliminate as much "sand" from the frets, and I am ready to jam hard.

Anyway, the size and vibe from this bass is just right for me - the extra wide neck w/19mm spacing and the 35" scale, but I am looking for a new bass due to my unhappiness over the preamp.... (I contacted Pedulla but they suggested I use an outboard pre-amp in addition to add some gain, like the Aguilar, but I don't want to go that way).

So, given my tastes for this bass, what other basses would you think I would like? I prefer maple boards and the 35" scale. Some have suggested the LakLand 5 string but I have never played one. Does anyone out there have experience comparing the Rapture J2 with the LakLand's? Or does anyone out there have any experience with other basses that are similar to my axe? (e.g., MusicMan 5 or F-Bass)?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU ARE WILLING TO GIVE!

- JJ (Mpls., MN)

2. According to the Pedulla website, Raptures are 34" scale. Musicman 5 strings are spaced narrower than your bass. I believe F-basses are widely spaced(3/4" or approx.19mm)w/a 34.5" scale, & Laklands are wide & 35". When you say your pickups are 'quiet', do you mean that your overall output is low?

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    As stupid as this may sound, try your bass with a fresh battery. That can make a difference. Most active basses don't have a convenient LED or something to indicate a weak battery, so you have to "listen" to your bass. Some basses' electronics get low output and you have to drive it harder when the battery is low. Others get all farty and distorted. Others still just go dead.

Or if your amp has both active and passive inputs, try plugging your bass into the passive input and see if that helps any.

You could have someone check out your electronics for any loose wiring and stuff.

And if that doesn't work, try an outboard preamp like a Sadowsky, Aguilar, or Fodera.

If that doesn't work, then think about changing the innards. Remember, changing the innards can hurt any resale value, provided that's something you wish to consider.

4. parsonsj

parsonsj

Apr 7, 2005
    Thanks for taking the time to reply....

I put a fresh battery in and it's still low output, in terms of volume. This bass distorts when the battery goes weak, too.

I think that the preamp itself is sort of low in output. It has two "J" (single coil) pickups, but other basses I have use soapbar (double coil). I heard from someone that I could install larger capacitors, but I am unsure if that is safe for the preamp.

I really don't want to use an external pre-amp, since they seem to be kinda noisy (though I have only really tried the Aguilar outboard preamp).

Thanks again for your suggestions. Maybe I will need to consider upgrading the innards...

- JJ

5. parsonsj

parsonsj

Apr 7, 2005
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Dincrest.

I put a fresh battery in and it's still low output, in terms of volume. This bass distorts when the battery goes weak, too.

I think that the preamp itself is sort of low in output. It has two "J" (single coil) pickups, but other basses I have use soapbar (double coil). I heard from someone that I could install larger capacitors, but I am unsure if that is safe for the preamp.

I really don't want to use an external pre-amp, since they seem to be kinda noisy (though I have only really tried the Aguilar outboard preamp).

Thanks again for your suggestions. Maybe I will need to consider upgrading the innards...

- JJ

6. parsonsj

parsonsj

Apr 7, 2005
    Thanks for the correction, Bassteban -- you're right -- the Rapture J2 has a 34" neck with 22 frets and 19mm spacing.

You mentioned the Lakland. Is that at about 19mm at the nut, too?

- JJ

7. The Laklands are(I believe)19mm or so at the bridge(the end of the bass where your right hand goes if you're right-handed)& much tighter at the nut(the end of the bass where the tuners usually are). I hope this clears things up. Another thing that occurred to me- some basses' preamp have an internal trimpot(like a volume control)to adjust output the level. Look inside for a small phillips screw looking thing, or better yet, contact Pedulla. I called them and Pedulla himself answered the phone.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sounds like the Pedulla is very close to your perfect bass... don't throw out the baby with the bath water! Replace the preamp... that's relatively easy for a tech.