Help: sound cuts out after ~15 min.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moosapotamus, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Hello - Wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of problem, or any advice about what might be causing it.

I have a Fender BXR 200 that has developed this problem...
    About 15 minutes after turning it on and playing through it, the sound just cuts out - silence. Sometimes, if I turn it off and back on the sound will come back, but only for a little while. When the sound cuts out it just goes away all at once, no fade or any other pops or clicks or anything.

I did a forum search and the only advice I could find that seemed somewhat related was someone saying that they had a BXR and the input jack(s) started to go. So, I might check that myself.

Would much appreciate any other advice that anyone might have to offer.

~ Charlie
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sounds like it is over heating, do you have it stuff in a tight spot? Have you taken it appart and cleaned it out?
  3. Voltaren

Sep 11, 2005
    far far away
    I knew a bloke who used to own one of those and from memory he had the same problem. To overcome the issue of overheating he used a little portable fan behind the amp to help keep it cool, it might work for you, oh yeah, give it a good clean as well.

best of luck
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    If you are running it at full power and it reliably chokes at 15 minutes it does indeed sound like overheating. If you cut the volume and it lasts longer or doesn't choke you've found the problem.

A good quality amp *may* go into thermal shutdown from too low a speaker load and come back when it cools. This would only be an issue if you have changed the speaker or are driving an extension cabinet (I don't know much about a BXR200).
  5. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

The amp is about 6 - 7 years old and this problem only started happening less than a month ago. It is totally stock... I've never made any modifications and only used it as a stand-alone, no extension cabs.

Maybe it is overheating. But, if overheating was the problem, wouldn't there be something that's gone wrong... a part or component that could be fixed or replaced? Especially since the problem has only cropped up very recently?

I typically only have the level knob at around 3 o'clock, even when playing on stage. So, I don't think I'm even really pushing it all that hard. I brought it home from our rehearsal space a few days ago and, playing at low volume it still craps out after about 15 minutes.

I've stord it in tight spots at times. And, it's probably spent stretches of a week or two in a car trunk during the summer months. But, when I'm playing, I always give it room in back and on top for air circulation.

I would think that if I need to keep a fan aimed at the (heatsink) fins in back, that would be further indication that there ought to be something gone wrong that could be fixed or replaced, yes/no/maybe?

As for cleaning it... what exactly should be cleaned. I pulled the head out to check the fuses, all OK. Everything looks pretty clean to me. Don't really know what else to check.

Any other ideas, suggestions? :cool:

Thanks, all!
    ~ Charlie