1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help - sound post / bridge issues ...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mars spider, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mars spider

mars spider

Mar 5, 2008
    Hello.

I own a plywood double bass for just a few days now, I finally managed to buy one in second hand. Only today I noticed that the back plate as a spot that is more curved, that is where the sound post hits it from the inside. I am still waiting for the seller to tell me if he noticed that before, but I would want to know if it is normal or if I should worry or what else should I do..

Thank you!

2. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I guess not "normal" but very common. Sometimes people put a reinforcement there...

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    And sometimes even the reinforcement shows a bulge. :)

I wouldn't worry unless its a very new bass - you didn't say..........

4. mars spider

mars spider

Mar 5, 2008
    thank you.. the bass was bought the first time 2 years ago.. so it is pretty new.

5. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    My bass is a 40 year old German, probably factory made, plywood and there is a slight bulge in the front and back where the sound post is. I've the bass in to a luthier for other reasons and no one seems to think at this age, there will be a problem. My question is how does such a tight sound post effect the sound. Given that the bass is plywood, does it even matter? I realize, this bass can't compare with the nice carved ones, but I still want the best sound it has to give.